Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1948-S Jefferson S/S Or DDR Or?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
175 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2019  10:12 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add pendrak to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi Guys- I have found two 1948-S Jefferson nickels that look like both are S/S. One of them also looks like there is doubling. Please let me know what you think- Thanks-

First two pictures are of the one without doubling and the next two are of the one with doubling.

Valued Member
United States
433 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2019  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add levelsofmadnes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice score!!
Which varieties do you think you have?

Also, can we get full pics of both coins? thanks
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
36795 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2019  11:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This looks like a damaged punch issue. Note on the Variety vista Site, there is one that looks like yours (007) (But the location of the mint marks are different. But note the description:
http://www.varietyvista.com/05%20JN...8SRPM007.htm
Comments: S/S South. MMS-002 (Trumpet Tail). Note it mentions South? That is the only area that is the RPM. The rest is mint mark punch damage.
RPM page for 1948-S:
http://www.varietyvista.com/05%20JN...%201948S.htm
Note most of the RPMs on that page is mostly south RPMs. A lot of them show the same puncheon damage, but that is not the RPM. Only the areas with the direction are the RPMs area only.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
03/15/2019 11:02 pm
Valued Member
United States
175 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2019  11:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pendrak to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK. I take it that both are S/S so I now can go to Variety Vista. Because of the die scratch locations, I believe that the first one is a Type 8. Here is a pic of the obverse and reverse. It is a scan. I will now check on the second one-

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
36795 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2019  11:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have to enlarge the mint mark area to see if there is a south on the lower and upper curve on your coin. The location looks close, but without the RPM, it would not be a RPM. Just can see close enough yet.
http://www.varietyvista.com/05%20JN...8SRPM008.htm

They both look like they are from the same die. Note the die scratches on the 'V' on Five on both coins. They are a match to each other, because they were struck with the same die. (they each have the same markers if both images are of different coins)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
03/15/2019 11:51 pm
Valued Member
United States
175 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2019  12:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pendrak to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, that went south in a hurry! LOL. Here is a better pic-
I am out for now-
Later-

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05