Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Wanting An Excel Sheet For US Cents

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 856Next Topic  

United States
8 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2019  08:00 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jrod5673 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello all,
I'm horribly bad with excel and spreadsheet design, and I was looking for a spreadsheet for US cents. Mainly for Indian heads up to present shields. I found a few posts here, but as a new member (haven't posted much but been member for a year) I am unable to email any fellow members to be able to request a copy of their offered spreadsheets. Can I get some help on how I may contact someone who says pm me, and what the member levels are and how they are achieved. Please and thanks.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
34736 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2019  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Click on and read RULES,top of page.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
88708 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2019  09:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.

Quote:
I found a few posts here, but as a new member (haven't posted much but been member for a year) I am unable to email any fellow members to be able to request a copy of their offered spreadsheets.
Post a request in their topic. They will have to contact you or post a link where the spreadsheet is hosted publicly.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5923 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2019  10:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What specifically are you looking for? Just date/mm, or varieties too?

During my roll hunting days, I tracked my nickel collection with a spreadsheet; took 60 seconds to make a simple one:

1. Open a new book
2. Write "Date" in A1
3. P in B1
4. D in C1
5. S in D1
6. Put 1859 in A2
7. Click and hold the little black box at the bottom right corner of A2. Drag it ALLLLLLL the way down to fill on the rest of the dates
8. You now have a spreadsheet!

E: Come to think of it, maybe we could have a sticky here with links to download free-to-use spreadsheets? I don't have easy access to the one I made (its on the backup drive; my computer bricked itself a few years ago) but I would happily share it - I had it tricked out to automatically calculate total count, face value, and melt value for silver.
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Edited by Finn235
03/20/2019 10:42 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3734 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2019  10:48 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Come to think of it, maybe we could have a sticky here with links to download free-to-use spreadsheets?

That's a really good idea.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
United States
4212 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2019  11:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I could post that for you, but they are on competing links.

I don't want to be dealt with 'swiftly'. I like it here.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5923 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2019  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bobby hosts .pdf files for some of our members who have written papers, theses etc on coins. Maybe he would be willing to do .xls too?
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2019  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jrod5673 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys I appreciate all the info
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19405 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2019  08:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I might suggest going to a store that sells computer books and or magazines. I did and found an entire book of excel. Made it easy to make your own spread sheet.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
311 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2019  07:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add einstem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a spreadsheet of all the main US coins that I have developed and have been slowing enhancing.. it has one tab for each type of coin (Cents, Dimes, Quarters, etc.) and then a row of data for each coin and space for you to enter information about each coin including if you own it and if you do the condition and purchase info...

There are, however, some limits to my spreadsheet..
- I don't collect "moderns", so for many of the modern coin sets, I think I only have coin data entered up into 2008 or so.. you can go to the RedBook and just enter more rows like it is laid-out in the spreadsheet (coin date, mint mark, proof or not proof, population, etc).
- No fields are currently "protected", so you must be careful to enter data only in the "data entry" fields.. if you overwrite something in the coin information fields, then there it is gone.. although you can always "undo" in excel if you realize you made a mistake.
- There are some "calculations" that I use for some of the cells, so if you start inserting rows or moving rows around, you can "break" the calculations and they won't work. For example, I have a row that says "Is Proof?" this is calculated by looking to see if a Coin has a value in the "Proof Population" column or not.
- It is set-up to only store one entry per coin.. so it is great for someone that is just creating a personal collection of coins, but if you start wanting to create multiple versions of coins (such as having three different 1909-S Liberty Wheat Coins in different conditions), then this won't work unless you either create extra "rows" of that coin (you must now how to duplicate rows and then reduplicate the calculations).
- It only has a few of the major "Variations" of some of the coins. I don't really collect varieties and errors.. so if you want to collect these, you will need to know how to enter them yourself manually.
- It makes use of "autofilters" to help find coins.. For example, I have a column called "Am Collecting?" and a column call "Own this Coin?". I use these to create "wish lists" of coins for when I go to shows. I collect a series, collect "Am Collecting=YES" and "Own this Coin=NO" and get my "Want list". But you must know how to turn autofilters on and off for the various columns and clear them.
- If you sort the spreadsheet and aren't careful (such as sort it when you have filters set on or don't include all the columns in your sort), you will "break" the spreadsheet and its calculations, and it can be VERY difficult to reset it.
- So, this works well for someone that is pretty familiar with Excel and some of its "dos" and "donts", but if you aren't careful, you can definitely "break it". And if you start sorting or inserting rows without rebuilding the filters, you will definitely mess things up.

- If interested, you can PM me and I can Email you a "blank" copy that contains some "test data" for the "cents" sheet to show how I use it, but it is "use at your own risk".

PS: Do you think there is a market for something like this if I cleaned it up a bit.. maybe added in some "protection" for some of the columns and some "macros" for some of the key functionality.. and sold it at a fairly low price? Only issue is that I can't offer "support". just an "an is" template for people to use as a starting point? Would probably sell very cheap.. probably a few dollars at most? Thoughts?

Regards,

Michael
Pillar of the Community
United States
1026 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2019  10:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I downloaded a few of the free spreadsheets. There were several items from multiple spreadsheets that I liked, so I kinda combined parts from different ones to create my own style. We'll see how it works.
Valued Member
United States
311 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2019  10:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add einstem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yep. that's exactly what I did.

I found a few templates and inventory sheets, and combined them together and then added a bunch of my own fields as well.
I don't collect anything that is later then the 1980s, so I'm not worried about keeping it updated with "new additions" of coins/proof sets/special releases that come-out every year, so once I have the old data entered I can just tweak as I need to..

Good luck..

Michael

Michael
Pillar of the Community
United States
1065 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2019  11:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's some downloadable apps you could take a look at the Google Play store or Apple store for your smart phone. I won't recommend any particular one, but I do use one and it mostly does the job although all of them leave something to be desired. considering I always have my phone on me, I always have my list on me with my collection and what I still don't have and need.

It's not perfect but nothing really is, even XL or a journal is only as good as the amount of data entry you put into it.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 856Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05