Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1804 Large Cent - PCGS Certification Mistake?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
733 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2019  09:07 am Show Profile   Check Jadey's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Jadey to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I started a thread back in november concerning grading my coin. The consensus was that it had environmental damage. When I received the coin from PCGS, it says that it was repaired, which really confused me, because I see no sign of repair.

Now, I look up the certification, and it says that it has damage. So the label does not match the certification. I plan to call PCGS for an explanation, but has anybody else ever experienced this?

Finally, the coin is placed in the holder such that it is tilted back. You can't tell from the picture, but it is seated properly in the grooves of the tabs at 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock, but it is wedged against the back of the case at the 12 o'clock position. I tried tapping it to get it to drop into the groove, but it didn't move, and I didn't want to be too forceful.

I get that mistakes happen, but this being my first submission ...
Edited by Jadey
03/22/2019 09:08 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3934 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2019  09:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Others will be able to address your direct concerns.
I just want to comment on your image.

1. It's best to include images of both sides of a coin when you post here.

2. The coin itself is VERY dark in your image.
Instead of a light/white background use a non-reflective black/dark gray background.
Too much light is coming from your background.
You want most of the light that the camera sees to come from the coin.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
733 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2019  10:03 am  Show Profile   Check Jadey's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jadey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I appreciate your points Kanga, but in this case I was just trying to capture the label on the holder. I actually didn't even look at the coin in this picture, and you are correct - it is very dark.

The thread I linked has better images, and the certification link has the PCGS trueview image as well as a different certification than shown on my label. I'm interested in why they are different and if anybody has experienced something similar.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1421 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2019  10:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin looks very attractive in the TrueView images. PCGS apparently considers repairs to be a form of damage, and they will indicate the type of damage on the label (#8 on their list of types of damage). I don't see any obvious repairs either, but maybe it was smoothing out some of the corrosion. I would probably have them reholder it because of the tilting of the coin. You might have to send some side pictures of the slab to show them first.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11767 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2019  11:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't see any obvious repairs either, but maybe it was smoothing out some of the corrosion. I

Given the reverse and how deep some of the observe pitting is there certainly are what appear to be some unusually smooth areas on the obverse
Pillar of the Community
United States
733 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2019  11:58 am  Show Profile   Check Jadey's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jadey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Zurie
Thanks for pointing that out. I see now that the "repair" is a subcategory of "damage (98)".
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7823 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2019  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gotta agree with Basebal21 on this one

Still a lovely and very scarce coin in any grade.

The coin may be tilted because it is a slightly bent or out of round planchet, whether struck that way or damaged. I have had that happen before when the coin's diameter was just a bit non-standard, especially on early copper.
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
United States
8651 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2019  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Still very nice even with a Details grade.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Pillar of the Community
United States
3425 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2019  06:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMHO, this is a most pleasing obverse for a details or repaired coin! We collectors do appreciate good coin pics, too!

Might the damage have been a bend in the coin that was "hammered" or repaired by being flattened?

Edited by ExoGuy
03/25/2019 07:22 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17777 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2019  06:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin and I'd send it back for a re slab.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
733 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2019  08:28 am  Show Profile   Check Jadey's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jadey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Exoguy
As far as the pic in the OP, I was just interested in capturing the label. The OP has links to another thread with pictures, as well as a link to the truview on PCGS.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.14 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05