Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Forum Member, From Brazil

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Brazil
15 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2019  5:01 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Leonardo Toni to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, my name is Leonardo, from Brazil.

I collected coins since childhood.

Recently, I inherited some old coins.

I looked for the forum because I did not find clues about these coins in the regional numismatics...

I need help identifying...

If any participant has any idea about their origins, I would greatly appreciate it!

Greetings!

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
Bedrock of the Community
United States
28078 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2019  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Give it a bit and some members will be along to help you.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8981 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2019  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Learn More...
United States
73500 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2019  9:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2102 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2019  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

The first appears to be a medieval European coin, probably 1500s or earlier based on the gothic legend. There is enough lettering that someone will figure it out.
The first photo might have v c e n c (from 11:00 to 4:00)
The second photo might have n e ? o (from 6:00 to 10:00)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1044 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2019  03:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add owatchman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF!
Learn More...
United States
22419 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2019  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12068 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2019  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@LT, first welcome to CCF. Second, those are some interesting coins that you have there, despite the heavy wear. Several of your pics are out of focus enough that I'm having trouble deciphering what you have there.

The first image of the first coin in particular is frustrating to me because I can't quite make out enough detail to help you. It would be super-cool if you could post an in-focus pic of that.

Also, both pictures of the second coin are quite dark. I'm pretty sure that the inscriptions are in arabic, but better light would help confirm that, and whether that is a lamb or some other animal on the back.

Both of your pics of the third coin are out of focus. I see a shield on one side and perhaps a rose on the other, but it is too hard to know without better clarity. There are a couple pennies from 16th century England that have a rose on one side and a shield on the other, but you coin would then be missing a substantial amount of the outer rim. Clearer pics would help to determine if the shield is correct or not.

Your last coin has a long cross with three pellets in each quarter, which makes me think of medieval England, but normally there is an outer circle of text rather than more pellets. I'm not quite sure what to make of it. Your last photo is in-focus and well-lit: this should be what you are striving for with all of your other pictures.

Sorry that I can't be more helpful, but hopefully you can take and post slightly better pictures. Thx!
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
4273 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2019  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Your last coin has a long cross with three pellets in each quarter...normally there is an outer circle of text rather than more pellets

I can't make out the obverse on the OP coin (#4), and I know these are not a match, but maybe a jeton of this general ilk?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12068 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2019  5:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great idea Bob--I hadn't considered that the fourth coin might be a jeton.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Brazil
15 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2019  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Leonardo Toni to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Greetings!

Bob L, the fourth must really be the jeton, I am very grateful!

tdziemia, Thank you for thank you for deciphering the legends of the first coin!

Spence, Thank you for the tips! I'm posting better pics of the coins:

Learn More...
Australia
13115 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2019  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The one with the elephant is from the Indian state of Mysore.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12068 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2019  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice job @sap recognizing the Sri above that stick-legged elephant! @LT, here is a link to what looks to be your coin--or at least something very close: https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces64799.html
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12068 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2019  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@LT, after a couple hours of searching tonight, I'm ready to give up on identifying your first coin. It has a shield on one side that is consistent with both Munster and Austria in that the left side (at least) has three stripes. The point bottom is a little problematic though and is preventing me from being positive about this. Also, I'd say 1200s or 1300s based on the letter shapes.

Added: for comparison, see these images of my Denar from Munster that dates to between 1379 and 1381 AD. It seems somewhat close, but is not an exact match to be sure.

-----King Adz
Edited by Spence
03/25/2019 9:31 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2102 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2019  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have this Italian quattrino from the city-state of Ferrara, mid-1400s that is also close, but probably not right. The shield is similar, and the other side also has the image of a saint in a beaded circle. Even if not direct matches, I think these last two examples confirm the style is European circa 1350-1450:

Edited by tdziemia
03/25/2019 9:46 pm
Brazil
15 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2019  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Leonardo Toni to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Greetings!
Thank you very much for the support of all to unravel these puzzles!
I will continue the research and also feel more motivated to help the other members of the group and foster numismatic knowledge...
javascript:insertsmilie('')
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.79 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05