Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Device Is Needed To Take Decent Pictures Of Close Ups?

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
Russian Federation
145 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2019  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Justwalking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Last couple days I've read a bunch of bad stuff about Keyence lenses.

Ray, give me the link please for curiosity. Keyence made a lot of different lenses and ppl can use it inappropriate way.
Initial price of each lens I pointed avove is close to $1000 with passport resolution 3,4um
I have this one but not tested yet. My pic was shot with lens resolutin no better than 10um.
Yes Ca-LHR series is better, but too hard to find.
Edited by Justwalking
04/22/2019 8:13 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3082 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2019  10:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a recent thread over on PM forum. Actually, when I read it, I thought of your earlier posts over there regarding large DOF, so you might have interest:

http://www.photomacrography.net/for....php?t=39488
Contact me for photographic equipment or visit my home page at:
http://macrocoins.com
Valued Member
Russian Federation
145 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2019  12:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Justwalking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't know what kind and condition of the lens was used by Curious Fox. May be he attached C-mount to FF and did the crop or may be stop down beyond the optimal aperture to increase DoF and lost contrast and sharpness... Who knows? There a lot of another opinions about Keyence quality.
Their talk not about specific lens and more about math alghorithm on very specific and very high level Keyence hardware.
The Dof is function of magnification and effective f-number, not anything else.
The big Dof on small sensor is due to small sensor have enough pixels in 2/3" area to resolve the lense resolution. To have same amount of pixels across FF we need to take 5X more magnification on the same field of view (FoV) with the same MP sensor for the same picture resolution. So the Dof at macro will be 25 times less, with the same effective f-number (exluding Circle of Confusion factor from odd negative and paper era). That's all trick.
Edited by Justwalking
04/23/2019 3:27 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3082 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2019  8:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The problem I've had with the USB cameras is their terrible software. They typically have poor control over exposure, white balance, etc. I personally hesitate to purchase another USB camera without verification the software gives me good control over critical parameters.
Valued Member
Russian Federation
145 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2019  9:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Justwalking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, such cameras with own professional software cost much more
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OMAX-14M-P...400794355661
But it is only alternative for those who need more or less good close up pics for web like this board, not for exibitions or the printed catalogs. It can save hundreds bucks for stacking hard and soft per DSLR
Edited by Justwalking
04/23/2019 9:50 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3082 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2019  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hah! I have one of those OMAX cameras, and the software sucks. This is one of the USB cameras I have tried, with little success! Have you tested one of these cameras?
Valued Member
Russian Federation
145 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2019  10:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Justwalking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No. I'm satisfied with mine soft. If I don't like something I always can correct it in postprocessing.
But in 3/4 cases I do nothing and second that photography is not main goal for me. Mostly I use it as HDMI video
whithout delay for live picture on big TV screen.
Just point and shoot when I want it like this dandelion

or coin )
Edited by Justwalking
04/23/2019 10:35 pm
Valued Member
Russian Federation
145 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2019  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Justwalking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Trying Keyence Ca-lm0510 on 1c

F/2.8, w.d.=130mm, ~0.6X One 1Watt led

1X F/2.8 w.d.=90mm, slant to camera

1x F/4
Edited by Justwalking
04/24/2019 7:13 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3082 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2019  12:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So these were with this lens?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Keyenc...AOSw3fZaOI-c

Looks to be variable from 0.5x to 1x. Certainly it's not cheap, but also not horribly expensive. And the image quality looks good.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3082 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2019  12:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ahh, it's the same one linked before, with $90 pricing. Looks pretty good.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3082 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2019  12:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you do an aperture sweep with that lens, and show 100% crops? I think the camera you're using probably has 1.3um pixels, correct? Will be good to see what the details look like and how far you can push aperture before getting fuzzy. Maybe do this at 0.5x mag?

Valued Member
Russian Federation
145 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2019  09:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Justwalking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Getting fuzzy from f/8 and higher as most of any other lenses.
There smooth aperture ring from f/2.8 to close.

It is 100% crop from the middle pic above

Edited by Justwalking
04/25/2019 09:34 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1289 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2019  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Check murty's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add murty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Using a Celestron pro model 44308.....can't get the lighting right....any suggestions.
Also is there better software then the capture pro. Thanks all in advance.
Valued Member
Canada
207 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2019  1:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add the_sifu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Using a Celestron pro model 44308.....can't get the lighting right....any suggestions.
Also is there better software then the capture pro. Thanks all in advance.

I use the same Celestron model for my coins. I do not use the built in LED light on the Celestron. I use 2 LED desk lamps ( search Amazon), that have 3 brightness settings, and configure the brightness setting depending on the toning of the coin. I position one or both lamps over or beside the Celestron.

I take the photo with capture pro and use an image editor later on. I am not sure if there is other better software than capture pro for the Celestron.

I use ACDSee image editor for my coin photos. Yes, you have to pay for it. Resize, Full 360 degree rotation at the palm of your hand, Lighten, Darken, Contrast, Cut, Paste, etc.

Edit: I just found out there is a free edition of ACDSee without some of the bells and whistles.

If you have Windows 10 installed on your computer/laptop etc., there is Paint 3D for free.

Edited by the_sifu
05/01/2019 1:38 pm
Valued Member
Canada
207 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2019  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add the_sifu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is an example of a Canadian coin taken with the Celestron, with one LED lamp overhead on high brightness.

Edited by the_sifu
05/02/2019 9:56 pm
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05