Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Changed My Mind On How I Keep Inventory....

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
113 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2019  2:17 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Sagegirl to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hope this is in the right forum. When I posted my final coin inventory on this forum a while back, I said I was going to keep everything in the notebooks and wasn't going to put my inventory on the computer. Well, one windy, cold, snowy weekend, I decided to transfer all the info onto my computer. I created a spread sheet for each denomination and each tab on the spreadsheet for the different types of each coin. (IE barber, mercury, silver rosie, clad rosie) I decided that I wanted to create a minimum of 3 coins for each date and mint, with a maximum of 5 coins for each, I also created a tab for each type needed, that fell under the min/max. I have found this much easier than the notebooks I was using. So now when I go see the local coin dealer, I just bring along a print out of what I need, this also helps stopping me from buying what I want instead of what I need. Friday I picked up 28 wheat pennies and 8 silver Rosie's from my need lists to add to my collection.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1036 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2019  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add owatchman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do something similar, but I get rid of the paper all together. I have notes in my phone so that whenever I'm at a show or my LCS, I can refer to these lists which have what I want and what I'm willing to pay. With a couple taps on the phone I can get to the list I want. Saves a lot of time and frustration dealing flipping through pages of paper.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9789 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2019  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
owatchman may be saying this a different way, but if you have a smart phone and cloud storage, you could save your spreadsheet to the cloud and refer to it from your smart phone instead of printing sheets out.
Valued Member
United States
113 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2019  12:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sagegirl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not smart enough for a smart phone
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18130 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2019  06:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm not smart enough for a smart phone

Same for me. I too have all my coins listed in my computer on an Excel spread sheet. I also, have them all printed out on paper. Then when I go to a coin show, I just buy what I want and the heck with those lists.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
828 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2019  09:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thisistheshow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
However you do it, it is just good to have a list when you are at a show or store. It helps keep you on track and prevents the dreaded unwanted duplicate purchase.
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2019  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 80Goat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use spread sheets on my computer to track the inventory of my collection. Though when I go to shows, I like to create want lists on index cards. There is something satisfying about crossing off a "want" after the purchase.
Valued Member
United States
271 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2019  2:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Posts like these may just motivate me to catalog my inventory. Luckily my collection isn't that huge yet. Just make sure you print it out from time to time ..... just in case.
Valued Member
United States
113 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2019  11:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sagegirl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just make sure you print it out from time to time ..... just in case.

I have it backed up on a jump drive.
Edited by Sagegirl
03/26/2019 11:40 pm
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2019  08:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 80Goat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cloud storage is a good way to back up your files and provide easy access to your files from any location.
Learn More...
United States
73250 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2019  10:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have it backed up on a jump drive.
Well done.

You know what is better than a backup?

Two backups.

One can never be too careful.

You may also want to consider cloud backups (Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, etc.)
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15873 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2019  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excel FTW!
Lincoln Cent Lover!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05