Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This A Good Deal From Apmex?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
310 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2019  6:21 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Pauldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
US Mint commemorative silver dollars, since 1983, same size and weight as a Morgan or Peace dollar, for $17 each in quantities under $20. It comes in a capsule, and is either proof or uncirculated.

https://www.apmex.com/product/14067

The problem is that you don't pick the coin, and it's not necessarily proof. If you buy 10, you could end up getting 10 coins celebrating the 50th anniversary of radial tires.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3264 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2019  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't pay more than spot.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9146 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2019  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While the price seems fair enough I would not buy sight-unseen random commems for $17.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
United States
960 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2019  6:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you're looking at these as a way to purchase silver, then that's more than 40% over current Ag spot. There are much cheaper ways to own silver.

At the same time, APMEX wants $17.99 for random year VG-XF Peace dollars and $18.99 for VG-XF 1921 Morgan dollars. Compared to those prices, $16.99 is a relative bargain if you're buying silver dollars for the silver content alone. Also, chances are the commemorative dollars will be in higher grades.

If you want to collect commemorative silver dollars, then you're probably better off to buy individual, known coins to get the quality you want and avoid potential duplicates.

So, it doesn't seem like a good way to own silver or collect commemoratives to me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3264 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2019  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If this is what you want, you can get the same deal for $15.
https://bullionexchanges.com/u-s-mi...-random-year
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
36737 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2019  7:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
APMEX is a big operation and not know for "deals". I never use them.
Valued Member
United States
310 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2019  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pauldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've mainly been buying from Provident lately, but APMEX had a few things of interest to me lately, such as silver nickels for spot.

I'm mainly looking to buy at spot, but also buying things I find personally interesting that don't cost too much over spot. The attraction of the commemorative offer was the chance of getting a few different ones, and getting some proof coins.

I hadn't heard of BullionExchanges.com before, so thank you for that link. Their commemorative deal is a better price than APMEX, but they list the condition as "scruffy." (In their favor, they also list a silver coin from Tuvalu honoring Homer Simpson, which I'd never seen before. :)

I know that "junk silver" coins, especially when silver prices have taken a dip, are an excellent way to acquire bullion and maybe luck into a collectible here and there. Here I was just trying to find an interesting alternative besides the old silver dollars.

The silver content of this "form factor" of dollar is just under $12 at the current spot price for silver, but the "floor" for any US Mint silver dollar seems to be at the very least about 30% above that, unless it's seriously banged up.
Edited by Pauldog
03/24/2019 9:17 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2817 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2019  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coinfrog is 100% correct. Like other precious metals dealers, they have one goal, making the Almighty dollar.....PS, Try locating, if any, the local coin collecting "Sunday shows ". Vendors selling their coins etc. Usually about 25 dealers too. There is one I frequent that is held in a local VFW hall every second and last Sunday every month. I find for the silver, coins, Morgans, and Peace in VF+ to unc's they get about 14-16 dollars each, more for the sweet unc;s at times too, all according to the condition, Good Luck. PS, I used APMEX a couple of times, the service leaves much to be desired.!
Valued Member
United States
285 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2019  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add howell1018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've used APMEX many times for gold and silver purchases. I've always gotten what I feel is outstanding service. Ordering was quick and easy and pricing seemed more than fair (and I check). What concerns me most is that I missed the radial tire commemorative. Is it still available from the mint, or might I have to buy it on the secondary market?
Valued Member
United States
310 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2019  04:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pauldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
howell1018, my theory is that the APMEX deal is their way of getting rid of their radial tire commemorative overstock. I bet if you contact them, they will give you a good deal on a PR68.

The one that's hard to get is the elusive third 2006 Franklin Tercentenary dollar, where Ben has his hands on the ball of a Van de Graaf generator, making his hair stand up. There's been talk that it's actually a hobo nickel version of the one where Ben is flying a kite.

Edited by Pauldog
03/25/2019 04:37 am
Valued Member
United States
285 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2019  09:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add howell1018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I need that coin in a P235/65R18.
Valued Member
United States
310 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2019  12:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pauldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's an expensive size. Go for a narrower width.

I thought radial tires were introduced in the 50's or 60's, but I just learned that they're a lot older (1915), so my 50th anniversary coin might be a fake.

This may not even be the oldest radial tire patent:
https://patentimages.storage.google...S1203910.pdf

Keep your eyes out for a 100th anniversary coin!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9146 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2019  07:35 am  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That's an expensive size. Go for a narrower width.

Also a smaller diameter. 18" rims can put a crimp in your budget for real coins.
ANA #R3154474
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05