Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hot Sauce As Coin Cleaning Agent?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2019  6:21 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Hooverdog to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I know you aren't suppose to clean coins but some are just so bad you can't read anything on them. I was told that a hot sauce like tobacco works fast and does not damage the coin. Does anyone know if this is true?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3412 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2019  6:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't use it, it is acidic.
Pillar of the Community
United States
780 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2019  6:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...a hot sauce like tobacco...

I'm thinking you mean like Tabasco sauce. I'm not sure about what it would do to coins but it does give your colon a kick.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16216 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2019  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most all liquid sauces contain acidic compounds. They will clean your coin (depending on the problem) and damage the metal underneath (acids dissolve metal). That said - If you have a unreadable disk and you want to know what it is, then cleaning is perfectly acceptable and SHOULD be performed.

Personally, I'd rather have a cleaned (potential) 1909-SVDB than a unreadable disk sitting in a box somewhere. I've been a coin searcher (bank boxes/bags) for a long time and I've cleaned hundreds of coins with running faucet hot water, my fingers, and sometimes a bit of concentrated dish soap. It's very effective and doesn't really damage or completely ruin the surfaces.

This is one such coin that received that treatment, I got a "cleaned" 1910! Before, it was COMPLETELY covered on both sides, literally unreadable except I knew it was a penny. I'd rather have this than nothing, I almost threw it into my junk bucket!

Lincoln Cent Lover!
Edited by BadThad
03/27/2019 7:02 pm
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2019  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hooverdog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes,tobasco sorry, tobacco would just stain a coin I'm sure. Hehehe that would be another hot topic.
Valued Member
United States
371 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2019  9:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CJ18850 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Baking soda and distilled water?
Proud ANA Member #3193470 & CCF Member.
Valued Member
United States
135 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2019  11:04 pm  Show Profile   Check ThreeLui's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ThreeLui to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't clean your coins, especially with that. Cleaning is a no-no and is generally seen as Rule #1 of collecting.
Learn More...
United States
81089 Posts
Valued Member
United States
224 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2019  12:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikem007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you planning to eat your coin?
Valued Member
United States
224 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2019  12:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikem007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Use the Search feature of this site. There have been some great discussions about do's and do nots when it comes to those who choose to clean coins.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16149 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2019  11:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hot Sauce, ketchup, barbacue sauce, soy sauce etc all tend to have the same "cleaning compound" in common. Vinegar, also known as acetic acid, which combines readily with copper to form copper acetate which is water soluble. So the "cleaning" is performed by simply removing a layer of the surface of the coin. And removing the surface is definitely damage.
Gary Schmidt
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18958 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2019  12:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you do use a hot sauce on a coin, and then eat it, the hot sauce and your stomach acids will certainly clean the coin. However, you would only find out for sure when a doctor takes it out of your stomach.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
7631 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2019  12:20 am  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If you do use a hot sauce on a coin, and then eat it, the hot sauce and your stomach acids will certainly clean the coin. However, you would only find out for sure when a doctor takes it out of your stomach.

Wonder what kind of toning you would get !
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Valued Member
United States
162 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2019  07:14 am  Show Profile   Check BrandaBob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BrandaBob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hot sauce zinc cents make for fantastic appetizers for any occasion. Copper ones are good too, but don't give your stomach that signature 'churn' the zincs are famous for.

(Please don't quote me on this in the future)
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
143 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2019  11:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Snoopydoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't normally clean a coin, but sometimes there so bad they have no numismatic value anyways, especially if you can't tell what they are.

So once I figured there really wasn't any value in the state it was in, I would try to clean it up, to help identify it.

Here's an example of one I cleaned up and found out out it was different than what I thought it was before cleaning.

In this case I don't think I lost value.

Please let me know if I'm wrong, and I won't do this again.

Thanks
Pillar of the Community
United States
1592 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  01:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This certainly isn't the first time this subject has come up. As suggested, do a search within our community for more details. I wouldn't recommend cleaning your coins in any fashion, period, but maybe that's just me. My golden retriever ate a roll of 2019 pennies, all 50 in one gulp. I didn't see them go in, but picked the results on one of our nightly walks. What her stomach acid did to those shiny new pennies wasn't pretty. (No dogs were harmed in this "tail", not to worry). Moral to this story is any sort of acid isn't good for your coins. Use your rotten pennies to buy better ones. You'll never know what those nasty ones have gone through before they reached you.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05