Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Opa Red Point War Ration Tokens/Tags?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2019  1:20 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add kmcvarish to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello Everyone!
I came here because I read an article posted by "Go" a Moderator here on the OPA Red Point War Ration Tokens. I had just acquired around 400 of them and was searching for information on the red "tags" that came with the tokens.
I could not find a picture or any info on them anywhere on the internet! So I am in hopes that someone here will know what they are and if they are of any value. As you can see, they are about twice the size of the tokens, oblong in shape and made of the same material. They have "War Assets Administration" written on the front with 4 numbers, looks like they may have been in sequence, and are blank on the back. They also have two holes on either side. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Kathleen
Learn More...
United States
15320 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2019  1:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@kmcvarish, first welcome to CCF. Second, while this is not my area of collection, the online website that I use for finding tokens doesn't list the broader tags with WAR ASSETS ADMINISTRATION on them (link below). I wonder if they were used to label the bags of newly produced OPA tokens, but I'll be interested to see if anyone here has seen these things before and has a more informed opinion.

http://tokencatalog.com/display_rec...splayRecords

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
2817 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2019  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Circus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are tags for property that belongs to or is needed by the war effort. the item would have a tag mounted to it hence the two hole like any id tag, there would have been a list of the items and the numbers along with the locations, Back in the 1960's our higfh school shops were filled with war surplus machines and tooling every item had war dept or branch of service and an asset number.
And yes they could have been used on the bags as the points tokens were technically war administration assets.
Edited by Circus
03/31/2019 1:51 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
32579 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2019  3:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. They (the tokens) do have some value https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...H_Complete=1
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Edited by John1
03/31/2019 3:16 pm
Learn More...
United States
83885 Posts
United States
43 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2020  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add po_bob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The War Assets Administration was in business from 1946-49, selling off assets deemed by the government to be surplus - everything from ships and planes to mules and textbooks, and to machine shops like the ones mentioned above. As near as I can figure when assets were deemed surplus and ready for sale one of these tags would be attached to it, or to the pallet the lot was stacked on, as a means of certainty as to identity of what was bought and sold. The numbers do seem to have some significance, but precisely what I have not discovered. There was no connection with OPA red points, which were made to provide "change" when less than a full ration amount was purchased by a consumer from a merchant. Perhaps the same manufacturer produced both the red points and the War Assets Administration tags.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1262 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2020  05:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add humpybong to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

If you have a spare red point token MV please let me know. It is all I need to complete my collection.

Pillar of the Community
Australia
1262 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2020  01:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add humpybong to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I am still looking for the Red Point token MV.
Learn More...
United States
15320 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2020  05:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@hb, rather than bump this old thread, you know that you can post in CCF's want list section right?

http://goccf.com/f/15

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Australia
1262 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2020  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add humpybong to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks have listed in want list
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05