Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Advice: Which Brands Of Scales Are Good For Weighing Coins Accurately

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 1,215Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
314 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2019  12:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add fplagge to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

Checking online comments is enough to scare me into abandoning a purchase at all.

I read of scales which vary when weighing the same item multiple times; scales which automatically stop working after a given number of calibrations; scales which do not sit flat on desk; battery compartments which do not close; etc.

As I am a (very) low-end collector it would not make sense to pay $50.00+ for something I probably will not need to use for more than a dozen times.

Any good advice out there?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5927 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2019  12:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What are you wanting to weigh, and why? How much accuracy do you need, and how much weight will you weigh at once?

I use a $15 SmartWeigh SWS100 jewelry scale that I bought on Amazon. It weighs in hundredths of a gram and has a max load of 100g. It has been running like a champ for 5+ years and thousands of readings, but the readings sometimes vary by as much as a few hundredths. I'm not using it in the diamond or gold trade, so that is an acceptable margin of error for me. It struggles to read anything under 0.1g, which is like 3 coins in my collection.

I have a separate postal scale that my wife uses for her home business. I use that for bulk readings where I don't need pinpoint accuracy.
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
16028 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2019  1:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Edited by Dorado
04/02/2019 1:17 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3734 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2019  3:19 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks fplagge... I've been wondering the same thing.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
United States
3556 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2019  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have this one, which is spot on.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Small-Digi....m2749.l2649

Beware, if you buy from a seller outside the US it may take a long time to receive, so I paid an extra buck or so and made sure it was shipped from the US.
Valued Member
United States
314 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2019  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fplagge to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reply to Finn235: Just want to weigh coins, one at a time - with good 0.01g accuracy. Example: I have a 1983 Lincoln penny which may be copper (3.1g) vs Zinc Alloy(2.5g). without a good scale I have no way to determine what I have.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3503 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2019  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have the same scale as jimbucks and it's worked well for me.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
34867 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2019  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you can afford it,go with one that reads 0.001. I do not know what brand is best,but if I was to buy a new scale I would go with the 0.001.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Edited by John1
04/03/2019 04:04 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
763 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2019  09:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You could make a simple balance beam to weigh the 1983 cent. Just put a non 1983 cent on one end.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1719 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2019  11:13 am  Show Profile   Check The_Duke's eBay Listings Check The_Duke's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add The_Duke to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a cheapo $6 one from ebay. It works fine and I checked it against precision scale at work. 0.01g resolution.
www.dukescoins.ecrater.com
ANA #3159445
Valued Member
United States
314 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2019  09:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fplagge to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Joecoin: I read about and tried the fulcrum balance idea. It was all but impossible to maintain the balance when adding or adjusting coins. Thanks for trying to help.
Pillar of the Community
United States
791 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2019  9:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Serving double duty. Extreme accuracy.
ANA member
PAN Member

there's no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
United States
44 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2019  10:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fredcdobbs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also use a double duty scale, Lyman D-7 no battery required.Ditto on the extreme accuracy,read in grains.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 1,215Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05