Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Despots, Dictators, Revolutionaries & Rebels

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 299 / Views: 14,662Next Topic
Page: of 20
Pillar of the Community

United Kingdom
859 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2019  10:00 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ScotsGreyhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hope this is ok, there are brilliant threads on this forum - with scientists, women, ships and avian banknotes.
How about a thread containing currency with dictators, despots, dear leaders, revolutionary rebels or political figures on them?
I'll start with a couple of notes from Nicaragua 1980s, with Sandinista militia on one & agricultural protesters on the other note.

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
859 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2019  10:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ScotsGreyhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A Czechoslovakian partisan

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7509 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2019  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The ultimate Revolutionary rebel - Che Guevara on a 2004 Cuban 3-peso note:

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
859 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2019  1:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ScotsGreyhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice NumisRob.
3 peso is an unusual denomination.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
859 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2019  1:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ScotsGreyhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A banknote from Iran (1986-) showing revolutionary students, on the other side is Kaabain Mecca.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3736 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2019  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
859 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2019  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ScotsGreyhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
President Mobutu, military dictator of Zaire(D.R. Congo) until his death in 1997, features on this 5 makuta note from 1993.

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
859 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2019  03:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ScotsGreyhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This Ugandan banknote from 1977 depicts Idi Amin who declared himself President after staging a military coup in 1971. Once a cook, then an officer in the British Army he is reckoned to have been responsible for up to 500,000 deaths & the expulsion of various ethnic groups.
He died in Saudi Arabia 2003.

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
859 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2019  08:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ScotsGreyhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Samuel Sharpe 1804-1831, led a peaceful protest against working conditions on Jamaican plantations, the strike turned into Jamaica's largest slave rebellion lasting 10 days. In 1975 the government of Jamaica proclaimed Sharpe a national hero, a Teacher's College was also founded and named in his honour.
He features on this $50 banknote

Valued Member
Canada
371 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2019  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ShareBear to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a tough category. One man`s Hero is another man`s Despot. History is full of men ruling over other men by violence and force. Here are 3 of my notes with King Leopold II of Belgium.

From Wikipedia ``Leopold's administration of the Congo was marred by murder, torture, and other atrocities. His regime was characterized by notorious systematic brutality. The hands of men, women, and children were amputated when the quota of rubber was not met. Thousands were sold into slavery.``

Belgian Congo P-33 - Front with Leopold II and the back with Congolese from the Congo Free State.

Belgium P-127 - Front with King Leopold II and the back with Congolese from the Congo Free State.

Belgium P-130 - Front with King Leopold II and the back from the painting Studies of the Head of a Negro by Peter Paul Rubens

Edited by ShareBear
04/06/2019 4:33 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
859 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2019  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ScotsGreyhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent notes & descriptions you have posted ShareBear, I've never seen those notes before.
You are absolutely right, it's a tricky subject, but I hoped to leave the topic open to interpretation, I wasn't trying to be offensive or insensitive.
I think lots can be learnt from a banknote, who or what is on it & why, the Jamaican $50 I posted, I purchased purely because I never had a note from Jamaica, then I thought who's the guy on the note?
I looked Samuel Sharpe up and I learned some new & valuable information about him & his role in the fight to abolish slavery.

Valued Member
Canada
371 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2019  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ShareBear to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ScotsGreyhound I don`t think anyone is trying to be offensive or insensitive. Banknotes are an excellent piece of history and they reflect the time period that they were circulated in and the country that they are issued for.
Learn More...
United States
90183 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10626 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2019  11:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
, great topic. I'll dig through my notes and see what I can come up with.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
859 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2019  05:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ScotsGreyhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cheers guys
Here's a note with 'el libertador' Simon Bolivar who appears on a lot of South American currency.
On the reverse is a vignette depicting Bolivia's Act of Independence.

Valued Member
United Kingdom
90 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2019  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KeithM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Colonel Gaddafi

Page: of 20 Previous TopicReplies: 299 / Views: 14,662Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05