Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Shipping Your Coins The Most Cost Effective Way Possible

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
2370 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2019  5:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SDcoinguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am sure this topic has been asked before,

what is the most cost effective way to ship your coins?

Let assume that I know how to safely package and seal my coins.

For example, I just sold am OBW of Lincoln cents, houses in a plastic coin tube, inside a small bubble mailer - cost me almost $6 for an item I sold for $8.

i am also looking to unload $25 worth of 90% copper Lincoln cents. something I did frequently back in 2010.

I am sure costs have changed since then, but am I correct in assuming that a medium/large flat rate box would be the way to go?

I know my profit margin wont be huge but if I am only going to be making $2-5 on the sale after fees and shipping, forget about it..

so do I throw my copper back into the wild? I am at a point where I cant just sit on it...

suggestions please....

Thanks!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12139 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2019  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The medium and large flat rate boxes are considerably more expensive now, even the small flat rates are like 8 bucks now.

If you can't get it into a small flat rate box go on to USPS and order some of the priority flat rate padded mailers. They're free to order and ship for the same price basically as the small flat rate boxes but they hold significantly more
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
37972 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2019  7:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let's first start with the value of your proposed shipment. Every option depends on this.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2370 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2019  7:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SDcoinguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
as I have seen on ebays sold listings for $25 worth of copper bullion pennies,

there is a range of pricing I have seen:

i will just link the listing here
https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Pounds-...AOSwtYZcCXTa

i wanted to do something similar to this.

also,
https://www.ebay.com/itm/16-LBS-Cir...AOSwqjhcT3LL

not sure how to break it up, split the weight of a $25 box, 8 and 8 lbs ? or sell the whole box, which is about 16 lbs, goes for $32, free shipping? shipping would cost $8-15?

one sale of $19.50, +$7.50 shipping

now, the base metal value of copper on $25 is $49.20

not sure I am going to get that price?

what would a good starting point be for either $25 box or 10lbs, 8lbs or 16 lbs? and what would the shipping costs be for each?
Pillar of the Community
United States
646 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2019  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chipjones to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can get around 20 rolls in a small flat rate box. 8.00
Over that you will need a medium size box. 14.35
I don't know the cost of large box.
Weight limit any size box is 50 pounds
And comes with 50.00 insurance.
Hope this helps
Pillar of the Community
United States
2370 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2019  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SDcoinguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looking at the sales, it looks like some people are taking a $2 profit!lol

sometimes I see a $15 FMV go for $30, but they offer free shipping and there goes your profit....

so is it even worth it to save copper if you are only going to make $2-5 profit>>>?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11014 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2019  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First of all I can't believe there are buyers on the Bay for 95% mixed circulated copper cents . There's still enough of them in the wild to acquire from CRH at face value . I put this next to people buying 50 first class postage stamps from Joe Schmoe for 62 each . Wattayoufacraze !
But getting back to your original question : I personal don't believe it will be worth your wild . chipjones says you can get 20 rolls of cents into a small flat rate box . But not if you keep your rolls in Nickel tubes , now you'll get maybe 15 tubed rolls . Basebal21 says you can use priority flat rate padded mailers which holds more than a small FR box for the same price but do you really want to put all that weight of 15-20-25 rolls in a envelope ?
Just my two cents ; whatever that is worth .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
2370 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2019  11:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SDcoinguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks T

my wife has been telling me to just toss the back and keep CRHunting with the moneys

eventually in the end I dont think it will be worth the searching, sorting, and back and forth to the bank, post office.

i will have more fun continuing the hunt if I just toss them back, keep the wheats, errors, varieties and silver...

thanks for your input and steering me in the right direction.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12139 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2019  12:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Basebal21 says you can use priority flat rate padded mailers which holds more than a small FR box for the same price but do you really want to put all that weight of 15-20-25 rolls in a envelope ?

Why not? You can put boxes inside the padded mailer which holds more than double the small flat rate box.

Just to give a size difference on them, the padded flat rate envelopes can hold two PCGS 20 coin blue boxes in them, the small flat rate boxes don't even come close to one. You have to order the envelopes but they're one of the best kept shipping secrets
Pillar of the Community
United States
1514 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2019  01:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can also pick up padded flat rate envelopes at most post offices, just ask for them. They definitely can hold more than the small flat rate boxes, but I would make sure you add padding so your rolls don't move around.
Valued Member
United States
316 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2019  01:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pauldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can get a cheaper USPS commercial rate if you create and pay for a shipping label on eBay or Paypal. Also Amazon, and I would guess Etsy, too. A flat rate Priority small box or padded envelope is about $7.50 that way. The cheapest Flat Rate envelope is cardboard and costs even less, maybe $7 or $7.25.

If your item is light enough, you can use First Class. The cost to ship 4 oz or less is under $3. If you go over 4 oz, you pay the 8 oz rate. The next jump is 12 oz if you go over 8 oz.

They changed the rates in January, charging more for more distant locations.

I'm seeing more than one eBay seller asking less than face value for mint stamps - even whole sheets of older ones. But you could end up covering your box with combinations of odd values, and you don't get discounted rates with stamps.

There are now Forever stamps with different values. I've seen post card rate, 1 oz, 2 oz, and second ounce. But the second ounce and 2 oz stamps actually went down in value with last January's changes. Those rates only apply to flat, machinable envelopes and cards, but the dollar value can be used for any package.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12139 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2019  02:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If your item is light enough, you can use First Class. The cost to ship 4 oz or less is under $3.

He was asking about 50 rolls of pennies, that is not even close to 4 oz
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18151 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2019  08:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another idea is to find a coin show in your area. IF you can find one, go there and ask dealers if they want to buy your coins. At such shows people do this all the time saving shipping charges and looking for other items they may want or need at the same time.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11014 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2019  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just to give a size difference on them, the padded flat rate envelopes can hold two PCGS 20 coin blue boxes in them, the small flat rate boxes don't even come close to one. You have to order the envelopes but they're one of the best kept shipping secrets

Thanks good to know !
But is there a weight restriction on that flat rate envelope ? 25 Lincoln rolls is pretty heavy .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
1514 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2019  12:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Technically the max weight for any flat rate package is 70 lbs, but I doubt you could stuff that much in a padded envelope. With 10 lbs of rolls, I would definitely use lots of extra packing tape!
Valued Member
United States
316 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2019  6:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pauldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"He was asking about 50 rolls of pennies, that is not even close to 4 oz"

I was writing in general, because a lot of coin shipments are fairly light. What I wrote is applicable, for instance, to sending a few slabbed coins.

I agree that a flat rate padded envelope (with an internal box or some other stiffener) or small box are the best Postal Service options for shipping 50 rolls of pennies, and probably the least expensive of all shipping options. I would think that even the non-padded envelope would work all right. That envelope seems to be available at all post offices. I've always had to order the padded one.

What I'm wondering about is how thick a coin can be and still be shipped in a thin envelope and pay the lowest First Class fee. For instance, it would only cost 55 to mail a few dimes or pennies wrapped in a bit of thin-foam padding. But I'm not sure about nickels or quarters. At the post office, they said that the limit is 1/4" (and it needs to be bendable), but I've used the package rate (somewhat under $3) to mail half dollars and 1-oz silver rounds. I haven't mailed anything smaller yet.
Edited by Pauldog
04/13/2019 8:00 pm
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.4 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05