Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ancient Purchase Suggestion

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
3078 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2019  8:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Looking for suggestions on an ancient coin purchase under $200 to make on Ebay. Would prefer:

1) Silver
2) NGC certified
3) Something interesting
4) Relatively large in size
5) Celtic would be nice, but not necessary

Would also consider something medieval, but must be extra cool.

Got a bunch of Ebay bucks to use up.

You can post here or PM me if you like.

Thank You.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11092 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2019  8:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@JB, this recent thread may be of some interest:

http://goccf.com/t/342875

I was going to suggest purchasing your coin from vcoins rather than ebay, but then saw that you are looking to use up ebay bucks.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
3078 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2019  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So many to choose from. I really like the Rhodes coins with the face poking out of the coin, but they are just a bit more than what I want to spend, but I might end up with one of them. Here is an ancient I bought earlier this year, which is high relief. It's not graded, but the seller had a profile that gave me confidence.

Valued Member
United States
442 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2019  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jskirwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can't go wrong with a tetradrachm.
They can often be had certified for around that price.

Besides Ebay consider these auction houses:
https://coins.ha.com/c/search-resul...h-A-K-071316

https://www.greatcollections.com/se...ies=&sort=01

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
4129 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2019  08:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ben to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My first thought from your specification is a celtic imitation of a Philip or Alexander tetradrachm; they are quite large and very plentiful, but difficult to get in good condition. Or go for a celtic imitation which is easier to find in nice condition, like a Thasos tet:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ancient-Gr...AOSwfdNb1lNw

Or, perhaps complement your Ptolemaic tet with the roman successor type:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Base-silve...AOSw2QxcolCw
Pillar of the Community
United States
3078 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2019  4:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I ended up with this rhodes coin. Something about the face sticking out of the coin (I guess correct terminology would be high relief), that intrigues me. Picked it up for $120 from a seller with a good reputation for ancients. What do the experts think? This is seller's description.

Islands off Caria, Rhodes AR Drachm

Circa 205-190 BC

Aristakos, magistrate

Obverse: Three-quarter facing head of Helios, head turned slightly right

Reverse: Rose; caduceus left, magistrate?s name ARISAKOS above

References: SNG Helsinki 588, Ashton 285

Size: 16mm, 2.84g

Numismatic Notes: Good VF and nice tone!

Pillar of the Community
United States
4173 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2019  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Well, I ended up with this rhodes coin.

Not large (as you had been looking for), but quite a nice selection. Congrats.
Valued Member
United States
192 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2019  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like it. Helios has always been my hero.

He's got a tough job everyday.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05