Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New To The Whole "Error" Coin And Their Terms

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2019  11:44 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 13STaR_707 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi there, please forgive me and my long posting. I am new to terms in the Coin World and to forums & the coin community. I am not a hobbyist but I do like to collect coins that strike my interest. Sometimes I just need some of that feedbac/criticism from some of the fellow collectors so I am not naive and believe anything google says to me, because lets just face it, it just leads me to a frustrating disappointment . This coin and googles misleading searches has persuaded me into writing this post

So, I have here a 2016 D Lincoln "One Cent" penny that I had picked up in pocket change (& I'm not positive) late fall of 2016. I could as well be the only (besides the retail store) the second person to have handled this coin. It appears to be missing the collar? and some of the copper dye. Some of the red & blue tones are due to me handling it and keeping it stashed in a small tin with other coins.

The L in liberty seems to look flush but I can't seem to strain my eyes enough to fully tell, but maybe a really great persuasive man made error . So I came here for some fellow advice and no disrespect,
But what do you all think I've got here?

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2019  11:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 13STaR_707 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please forgive my title #128517;
I have been typing/uploading this post for the past hour in a half.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9752 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2019  03:07 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF!

I am sorry to inform you that the coin is simply damaged - there is no error. The rim and some high points in the design were sanded or ground down to reveal the zinc core beneath the copper plating. While somewhat interesting to view, it is only worth a cent (penny).
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius

"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3434 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2019  04:01 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
damaged. How might remain a mystery but damaged nonetheless.

And btw...

Welcome to the Forum. You've come to a phenomenal place to share and learn. Enjoy.

Edit: in answer to your title the CCF does have a glossary and here is a link to common acronyms used in coin collecting I reference from time to time:

https://web.stanford.edu/~clint/coinacro.htm
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Edited by chafemasterj
04/13/2019 06:36 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
27597 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2019  04:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18056 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2019  09:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

And yes just someone messing around with that coin.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15850 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2019  11:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1672 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2019  11:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tunnioc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Washer and dryer coin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9696 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2019  2:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was thinking a dryer coin as well.

Learn More...
United States
72256 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2019  12:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2019  12:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 13STaR_707 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone : ] I really appreciate everybody's response back! Yeah, I was pretty skeptical about it when I got it. I am stoked about having everyone here to better inform me about this oddball. Lol Thank you very much
Pillar of the Community
United States
2487 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2019  12:56 am  Show Profile   Check DrDon's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add DrDon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a great learning center. Feel free to post anything the you have questions about.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1779 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  08:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a dryer coin, just abraded (intentionally or accidentally).
Error coin writer and researcher.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05