Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coinstar Rejection Reasons

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
219 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2019  10:01 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mikem007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just wondering what others have experienced when dumping at a Coinstar machine. Tonight I dumped $41 in pennies and had 3 pennies that no matter what I did, they dump out the rejection tray.

I used two of them during my exit when I needed some loose change at a register. The remaining penny that I brought home is a 1986P, weighs 2.6g, non magnetic, and is the same width as other pennies I have laying around.

What would be some reasons to why this penny would be rejected.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3342 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2019  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe it was full
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18151 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2019  07:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Machine didn't like the person on the coin.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
1848 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2019  07:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ratman4762 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Must have been silver! Everybody knows that those machines reject silver!

Me personally, I wouldn't worry about a machine rejecting 3 cents after it successfully accepted 4097 cents. I'd probably leave them in the reject tray for the next person (hoping for silver) to find. (that's the mischievous side of me). Others would just spend them as you did.
Valued Member
United States
219 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2019  08:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikem007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Maybe it was full

Wasn't full. It rejected these three pennies several times during my dumping. I kept putting them back in. In the end, I waited for all processing of the others to finish and then tossed these into the machine. Sure enough, dumped them out the reject bin.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11014 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2019  11:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh ; they were probably the ultra rare Aluminum cents that spit out .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Valued Member
United States
219 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2019  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikem007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't realize these machines take halves and dollars. I went back tonight and dropped $30 in Kennedy halves, $10 in Ikes, and $20 in Susan Bs. They do take 11% off the top but compared to my trips to the bank and dealing with bank teller ladies, I think I'm starting to like coinstar route.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12139 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2019  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They do take 11% off the top but compared to my trips to the bank and dealing with bank teller ladies, I think I'm starting to like coinstar route.

You can get full value if you pick a gift card. A lot of people just get Amazon cards with it instead of losing the percentage for the cash.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3703 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  04:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I didn't realize these machines take halves and dollars. I went back tonight and dropped $30 in Kennedy halves, $10 in Ikes, and $20 in Susan Bs. They do take 11% off the top but compared to my trips to the bank and dealing with bank teller ladies, I think I'm starting to like coinstar route.
Straight off the Coinstar website- "Coinstar cannot accept Eisenhower silver dollars, 1943 steel pennies, pure silver, commemorative or foreign coinage. They may not be recognized by our kiosk or returned to you. Items such as keys, jewelry and other valuables should also not go into the kiosk."

I'm surprised the machine didn't keep the Ikes.

I would have just spent that low amount of coin, and saved the 11%.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Edited by fistfulladirt
04/16/2019 12:52 am
Learn More...
United States
73436 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  11:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You can get full value if you pick a gift card. A lot of people just get Amazon cards with it instead of losing the percentage for the cash.
Learn More...
United States
73436 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  11:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Coinstar cannot accept Eisenhower silver dollars...

Quote:
I'm surprised the machine didn't keep the Ikes.
I wonder if they meant that will take CuNi Ikes, but not the 40% silver ones.
Valued Member
United States
219 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikem007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm now second guessing my Ikes in the machine. I also dropped around #30 to $40 in pennies, nickels, and dimes in that same batch. For those who know, you see your counts on their screen, and then it prints a paper ticket that you take to the cashier and they pay you cash. After that, you no longer have record of exactly what you deposited. I assumed since no Ikes dropped out the reject tray that they were accepted. I did hear a lot of clunking going on inside that box and heard things sound like they dropped on the floor of the unit. I need to go back with a controlled experiment. I'd hate to know I just gave them $10 in Ikes.
Valued Member
United States
219 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikem007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did drop in 4 of these mint set tokens just to see what would happen. I have around a thousand of these. Two were accepted, two rejected. My plan is to dump these into my recycling can unless someone has a better idea.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12139 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wonder if they meant that will take CuNi Ikes, but not the 40% silver ones.

It's just the silver ones that are on the unacceptable list so theoretically they should take normal ones.

Their unacceptable list is actually quite hilarious since you know someone almost certainly tried everything on it.

"1943 US pennies, acorns, alcohol wipes, animal crackers, animal or human teeth, bandages, batteries, beads, bells, belt clips, bent coins, bolts, bottle caps, broken glass, bullets, buttons, candy, candy wrappers, cardboard, cat litter, chains, clay, commemorative coins, confetti, contact lenses, cotton balls, cotton swabs, crayons, cuff links, damaged coins, dirt, dirty coins, dog food, drill bits, ear plugs, earthworms, Eisenhower silver dollars, erasers, feathers, finger nails, flash drives, foam objects, foreign coins, fossils, french fries, fruit snacks, glitter, gold fish, grass, guitar picks, gum , gum wrappers, gummy worms/bears, hair clips, hay, jar lids, jewelry, key chains, keys, lint, marbles, matches, miniature dice, mints, mud, nails, name tags, nuts/bolts, paper clips, pen caps, pencils, pills, pine cone parts, pins, pipe cleaners, Play-Doh, playing cards, POGs, pop can tabs, popsicle sticks, quilt squares, ribbons, rocks, rubber bands, rubber lid seals, sand, screw driver bits, screws, SD cards, seeds, shells, soap, soda, springs, stickers, tape, tie tacks, tire caps, tissues, tokens, tooth picks, tree bark, twigs/sticks, vegetables, wall hooks, washers, watch bands, wheat, wires, yarn"

https://www.coinstar.com/helpcenter
Learn More...
United States
73436 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2019  10:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Their unacceptable list is actually quite hilarious since you know someone almost certainly tried everything on it.
Valued Member
United States
286 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2019  10:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just picturing some of those provided quite a laugh.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.26 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05