Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1803 Draped Bust Large Cent Sheldon-250

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
6694 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2019  6:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Picked this up for $98. Coin has obvious corrosion but I like the look of the coin . Wreath with stems and short fraction bar. This looks like the Small Date, Large fraction but can't nail down the Sheldon variety. Thoughts on grade, variety and problems? Thanks!

Edited by numismatic student
04/15/2019 6:34 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
38014 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  08:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF details (porosity, ED).
Pillar of the Community
United States
7389 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF details porosity moderate. I agree with small fraction but I think this is a small date based on the width of the body of the 3 as well as the angle

Pillar of the Community
United States
6694 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also think this is the small date, but it is the large fraction. In the small fraction, the last zero in the 100 denominator of the fraction lies inside the turn where the ribbon flares out to the right. To me it seems clear that the last zero in the denominator lies outside of the turn where the ribbon flares out to the right.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6694 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To illustrate, in the small fraction, the last zero should be mostly to thw left of the red line and not under the horizontal part of the ribbon.

Pillar of the Community
United States
7389 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

my bad...I agree with large fraction. its too far right for the small
Pillar of the Community
United States
6694 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Getting a little frustrated and worried. I cannot attribute thus coin. The fraction does not match thw large fraction varieties because the top serifs of the 1s in the fraction aren't long and do not extend far to the left. The fractions look a lot like that of the S-244 but the 3 in the date does not touch the bust. Arghhh... Help! Hopefully it's not a fake.
Pillar of the Community
United States
664 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  6:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could it be S-250?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1514 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF details. I think it's a small date, small fraction, and I agree with S-250.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6694 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bingo! It seems that this coin does match S-250 comparing to known examples. I was thrown off becauae it didn't match other small fraction varieties that I had seen.

My apologies to panzaldi who actually was right in calling it small date small fraction. Thanks to him and Phil310 for your help in attributing.

Ron Guth: Sheldon 250 is one of the 1803 Small Date, Small Fraction varieties. Both Breen and Noyes call it Rarity 3, which makes it somewhat scarce as a die variety. Sheldon had it as a high R4.
Edited by numismatic student
04/15/2019 7:43 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6694 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2019  12:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one came in. The corrosion was more extensive than anticipated from the seller's pics, but given what I paid for it I am very happy with the coin.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
16978 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2019  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF-30 details
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05