Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Struck Through Wire Error Coins Your Opinion.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
55 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  10:58 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Kellyb50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently read in another forum where someone stated that struck through wire coin errors decrease the value of a coin. I have seen some interest in some other posts so what if someone has a collection of 20 or more coins that show a progression as the wire moves around in the chamber and eventually causes damage to the die that repeats several times? What effect does the strike through have on the grade? Finally what if the fragments cause errors on both sides?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11356 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  11:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@kellyb50, well the value of a particular coin is dependent on the specific person. Perhaps for coins that are supposed to be perfect (e.g. proofs), a mint error might reduce the value. Otherwise, I would expect the value to either be neutral or improved. In general, the more noticeable the error, the more likely that someone will pay over face value. Could you please post a pic or two of what you have on this thread? Thx!
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  11:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kellyb50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kellyb50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
37265 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well the last one may have a show at it. Maybe a staple. Note that it is incuse on the coin? (Making an incuse mark on the devices of the coin) That is what a struck through something would look like. On the other two images note the line is behind the devices and doesn't affect the devices? That is because the die was gouged on the fields. (leaving a raised area) Again note that the upper part of the devices are not affected? Why? Because the devices are deeper into the die. So a gouge will not show because the devices are lower on the die. Thus it shows like your coin, the line on the fields and not affecting the devices.

Now if the devices were incuse, a struck through or damage to the coin, would show on the fields and would not affect the devices unless it was a very strong hit.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kellyb50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
coop I have 6 coins identical to the first and 11 like the second, I also have another coin in the same place as the third except it also appears to be behind the A?
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  3:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kellyb50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

In these images on the first the "wire" appears to have broken and doesn't line up with the other indents on the second it appears to be behind the A but also inclusive according to the other coins the wire broke into pieces
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kellyb50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin also showed up within the same roll all with errors it appears to be a Rockwell hardness test is it possible that all of these coins were selected to be removed from circulation but ended up being circulated? Sphericonical no pressure ridges, doesn't transfer to the reverse and it appears to be the right size.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
37265 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The ones that are raised (you have post three images of these so far) are not a struck through error. They are common die gouges. Spendable. The struck through wire/staple are more interesting. But the larger the item struck through the more value you have.

Wire:

Nail:
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
04/15/2019 3:39 pm
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  3:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kellyb50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks coop I know the pictures are not the best but the only one that is actually raised is the E.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05