Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Storage For Ike PCGS Slabs (Or PCGS Slabs In General)

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 54 / Views: 2,888Next Topic
Page: of 4
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10499 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2019  12:12 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So I've decided to take the plunge and put together a set of PCGS graded Ikes.

My question is, how do those of you that collect these store them? I am considering on of those long, narrow slotted slab holder boxes from Wizard. Well, two, really, since there are more Ikes in the set I'm considering than would fit in one.

What are some other options?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
34280 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2019  04:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Edited by John1
04/16/2019 04:37 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3733 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2019  08:13 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know jbuck has a cool case he likes. I don't remember exactly which one it is. I'm sure he'll chime in later.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Learn More...
United States
87772 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2019  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So I've decided to take the plunge and put together a set of PCGS graded Ikes.
Excellent!

Quote:
My question is, how do those of you that collect these store them?

Quote:
I know jbuck has a cool case he likes. I don't remember exactly which one it is. I'm sure he'll chime in later.
I have this and I love it...

https://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/li...0-slabs.html

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10499 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2019  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the ideas, John1 and jbuck! Those mahogany ones are gorgeous.
Learn More...
United States
87772 Posts
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2019  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nickels_rule to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is what I settled on CelticKnot, more of a utilitarian case. It's sturdy, fits in a safe easily, and holds 30 slabs.

Glad to have another person interested in Eisenhower dollars!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10499 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2019  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks good, Nickels_rule!

My only issue would be that it "only" holds 30... and the set of Ikes I'm looking at is 32.

On the other hand, the double-row mahogany one that jbuck likes holds 50. What to do with those extra slots?

Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2019  07:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nickels_rule to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My only issue would be that it "only" holds 30... and the set of Ikes I'm looking at is 32

Just for fun, what checklist are you using as a guide, Littleton, Red Book, or?
I figured if I got above 30 I would lay one on top of a row. I understand what you are saying though.
A consideration for me was the length of a case....and weather it would fit in the safe. Those wood cases
are great looking!
Learn More...
United States
87772 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2019  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What to do with those extra slots?
Well my first 32 slots are the core PCGS Ike set. Obvi.

For extras I currently have...

1971-S 40% Silver Proof DDO Minor Variety (Thank you, Darth!)
1976 Variety 2 AG3 "lowball" Ike (Thank you, nickelsearcher!).

That makes 34.

I will be adding:

The other two 1972 varieties (36)
Two 1990 Commemorative Eisenhower dollars (UNC/Proof) (38)
Two 2013 5-star General Commemorative dollars (UNC/Proof) (40)
Four Eisenhower Presidential dollars (P/D/S-Proof/S-Reverse Proof) (44)

I have two NGC Ikes that will be "upgraded" with PCGS versions. Because of the sentimental value the NGC Ikes will stay in the box (46)

I have a 1972-S 40% Silver Proof (thank you, Fuzzy!) that is in a Lighthouse slab, but will eventually be "upgraded" with a PCGS version. Again, sentiment, stays in the box. When it moves to its new slot I will put the J buck in a lighthouse slab next to it to make the pair even. (48).

I will add the Ike silver medal from 2015 C&C set (49).

What to do with 50. No telling. I will come up with something.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1751 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2019  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A suggestion for that empty Ike slot...

Working on: Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens; upgrading my Peace dollar and US Type sets

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Edited by Alpha2814
04/17/2019 10:38 am
Learn More...
United States
87772 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2019  10:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Carr overstrikes are a rabbit hole I am trying to avoid.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10499 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2019  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What to do with 50. No telling. I will come up with something.

Awesome!

Quote:
The Carr overstrikes are a rabbit hole I am trying to avoid.

Yeah, then you might have to opt for the 75-slot case...

Quote:
Just for fun, what checklist are you using as a guide, Littleton, Red Book, or?

Actually I'm using the Dansco 8176 for my checklist, which has 32 labeled holes.

However, like jbuck, I will probably add more variants and such once the "base" set is complete.
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2019  1:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nickels_rule to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Actually I'm using the Dansco 8176 for my checklist, which has 32 labeled holes.

Yep, I finally figured that out....made my life much easier.

Quote:
However, like jbuck, I will probably add more variants and such once the "base" set is complete

My thoughts exactly, get the base set first then worry about varieties. Once I arrive at a complete set number, I'll build a case for them, some kind of wood appropriate for #34.
Edited by Nickels_rule
04/17/2019 1:39 pm
Learn More...
United States
87772 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2019  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yeah, then you might have to opt for the 75-slot case...
I would probably add the similar 25 slot case for them.

Quote:
Once I arrive at a complete set number, I'll build a case for them, some kind of wood appropriate for #34.
Excellent!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10499 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2019  12:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Once I arrive at a complete set number, I'll build a case for them, some kind of wood appropriate for #34.

Hmmm.... a fellow woodworker? Very nice.

Since Ike was born in Texas, a Texas native wood (particularly one that is common in the northern part of the state) such as Post Oak or Live Oak would be appropriate. Those aren't woods you'll find at your local big box. Pecan might be a little easier to find...and of course is the state tree of Texas.

However, I'd probably pick a wood native to Kansas, his resting place and boyhood home.

I wonder if you could pick up the inserts to any of the cases suggested above, and build the case for them?
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 54 / Views: 2,888Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05