Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Two Lrb's Lonely As Can Be ...... Don't Worry ( ? ) We'll Keep You Company

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
2987 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2019  2:47 pm Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Typical "whodunnit" request
The second appears to be a "barbarous" ?
The first one I am not so sure about

No.1 0.96 grams 11-11.5mm

No.2 1.22 grams 14-14.5mm

Any opinionations ?
What I originally opined as an A or Δ behind portrait #1 I now believe to be the cords hanging from a diadem
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Edited by FVRIVS RVFVS
04/17/2019 2:50 pm
Learn More...
United States
22338 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2019  3:19 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Smaller one maybe Valentinian III?, the other Honorius?
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
4140 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2019  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ben to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Barbarous? Perhaps it's just a poor strike from a late roman die...the gap between barbarous and official was already very tight by Honorius' time - that bust after Valentinian III doesn't look so bad.

The second looks like it could be anyone- certainly late, but without the end of the VICTOR... and without the legend, I doubt there is further to go.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2987 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2019  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes ?
No ?
Or maybe ?

0.83 grams

COGITO ERGO SPVD
Edited by FVRIVS RVFVS
04/17/2019 6:59 pm
United States
38 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2019  04:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pilegicvs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The first coin looks like Valentinian III, maybe RIC X 2118, 2120, 2121 or 2122. There's not enough detail on the Obverse to pin it down from the supplied photos.

The second coin may be an Imitative of Constantine, GLORIA EXERCITVS type - 2 soldiers with 1 standard between them. The "style" of the soldier on the left reminds me of the many imitative figures seen on coins of Tetricus Imitatives...
Pillar of the Community
United States
2987 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2019  07:08 am  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin which I posted above mine (0.83 grams) was sold by a "respectable" source as an of the Emperor Avitus AD 455-6
Hard to be certain but
I am getting a warm and 'fuzzy' feeling about it

COGITO ERGO SPVD
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2645 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2019  09:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is some dispute over whether the alleged Avitus AE4 coins had ever really existed at all.

IIRC, the type is now supposed to be attributed to Honorius.
Edited by january1may
04/18/2019 09:51 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5572 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2019  10:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Right coin I agree is barbarous.

Left, I could see it being Valentinian III, but ultimately without a legend it cannot be attributed with certainty. These terminal minimi are too crude, look too much like each other, and are too watered with "Volkerwanderung" imitations to identify based on portrait style alone.
New Sale! Inexpensive classic Greek silver, over 2,400 years old!

http://goccf.com/t/323297
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
4140 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2019  4:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ben to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Avitus? As january1may alludes to, only one convincing copper coin bearing the name AVITVS exists and it isn't this type. Looking around, I can see this type is attributed to Avitus, but this seems to be on the basis of partial legends (there are several examples that show ...-VS PF AVG). It seems to be that the late style and the short legend are what pin this to Avitus. I'd definitely put 'Avitus' on the flip, but I wouldn't be so sure its correct.
Pillar of the Community
United States
650 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2019  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For the coin on the left, this VICTOR-IA AVGGG type was issued at only four western mints. Of those, only Rome placed the officina letter in left field and only for Valentinian III. Thus Valentinian III, AE4, VICTOR-IA AVGGG, Victory left holding wreath and palm, Rome (RM) mint, 2nd (S) officina. LRBC II, 845.

Edited by Kushanshah
04/18/2019 5:14 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2987 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2019  6:13 pm  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

My copy of Sear Vol V lists a VICTORIA AVGGG for Valentinian (the turd) but the Officina mark S is listed as being in exergue after the mint mark
The only one of this type that I can find with S in field left is for Avitus

COGITO ERGO SPVD
Pillar of the Community
United States
650 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2019  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sear is a collector price guide which includes only a sampling of known varieties. RIC X (p. 390) states the Avitus #2413 coin which Sear cites is reported but "confirmation required".
On the other hand, both P and S in left field are attested for Valentinian III by examples in the BM. That being said, I see no reason not to note that while Valentinian III is the stronger possibilty, the same reverse and mint mark may also exist for Avitus.
Edited by Kushanshah
04/18/2019 7:06 pm
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2645 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2019  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I note that this is Esty type 55, and the respective image page shows several examples for Honorius with S in left field (as well as at least one blurry Valentinian III).

Alas, I cannot find the article I have originally read about it - there was a comment about how an example of the same type with a clear left half of the legend, and thus clearly Honorius (and not Avitus), sold on eBay for something like $2.

EDIT: now that I think of it, Johannes might be another option - the OP coin kind of looks like there's a beard in there. Hard to tell at that level of portraiture. Compare this example by echizento.
Edited by january1may
04/18/2019 8:57 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
650 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2019  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes. In RIC X, this type with S in left field is attested for Honorius (C), Valentinian III (R2), Johannes (R4) and possibly Avitus (Unconfirmed). LRBC does not list Johannes or Avitus but RIC is more recent. In hindsight I should have gone to RIC X first but LRBC's format is (theoretically) easier to scan for specific mint marks. I'm not sure how I overlooked Honorius.
Edited by Kushanshah
04/18/2019 9:52 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.76 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05