Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Match Game 2019 ...... Oh No Not Again !

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
2995 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2019  4:02 pm Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I picked up two "Gordo" III's of Dionysopolis while bottom feeding last week
(amongst the usual detritus)
I decided to keep one so I lay them side by side for comparison
Oh dear ......
Then I flipped them over
Oh my ......

-26 Dionysopolis Moesia

Obv AYT K M ANTΩNIOC ΓOΡΔIANOC AYΓ
Laureate draped and cuirassed bust of Gordian facing draped bust of Serapis

Rv ΔIONYCOΠOΛEITΩN
Dionysos standing left holding kantharos and thyrsos panther at foot
(My original interpretation of Gordian watering a duck was incorrect)

No.1 26mm 13.57
No.2 26mm 12.65

IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Pillar of the Community
United States
679 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2019  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suggest cutting each coin in half from 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock then mix 'n match to create one well-struck coin and one weakly-struck coin.

Should that solution prove untenable, I'd probably offer them both for sale and keep the one that doesn't sell. It's really a toss-up from my perspective. Each has its merits.
Edited by Kushanshah
04/17/2019 4:22 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2995 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2019  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Points of similarity ?
Too many

COGITO ERGO SPVD
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
453 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2019  5:36 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just having fun. Quite a die they used on this coin!
Hey, since the reverse lines up but the obverse seems to be shifted, does this prove the device for striking these had some more play for die position then it should have?

Edited by louisvillekyshop
04/17/2019 5:43 pm
Valued Member
United States
496 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2019  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hate when that happens, I wind up keeping both. LV shop, I'd bid on that one
Pillar of the Community
United States
2995 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2019  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's just exactly my problem !
I was bottom feeding looking for resale
Now I'm stuck with both of them !
Imagine my amazement ....... I seriously had no clue until I decided to photograph them
I was as ignorant as I look !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2019  12:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add xxmarkabyx to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That first portrait located in the top left almost looks like part of the skull/jaw is exposed because of that indentation and the shape of the jaw. Looks kind of neat to me.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05