Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ever Asked Yourself, What Was I Thinking When I Bought These?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9795 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2019  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
One of anything is enough.

That's a very broad and subjective statement.

Quote:
I don't buy to flip, just one to have for the collection.

I'm with you there. I buy two, however. One to put in an album, one to keep in OGP.
Learn More...
United States
73373 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2019  11:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't buy to flip, just one to have for the collection.
Valued Member
United States
470 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2019  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add everything to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see piles like this at the LCS shop from time to time. I favored some of the special mint sets myself.
Valued Member
United States
302 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2019  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add howell1018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Two words....baseball cards.
Learn More...
United States
73373 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9795 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2019  01:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Whoever thought that investing in cardboard was a good idea... well.

I bought my fair share (and more) of baseball cards in the late 90s but it was fun for me. For the most part I bought higher end sets and I still have most of them. Finishing some of the rarer parallel and insert sets is still on the fringes of my collecting, some 20 years later.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
12134 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2019  01:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Two words....baseball cards.

The right ones have actually done very well.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15548 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2019  03:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cars.
They are the most efficient way of wasting money that I know of.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9795 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2019  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The right ones have actually done very well.

Indeed.
Valued Member
United States
72 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2019  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave92029 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have many 2000-2009 silver proof sets. At the time I was accumulating them they were selling for just a little above melt value. Unfortunately "Melt Value" has declined significantly, and when you take the ebay price, less fees and postage, it doesn't really make sense to sell them. Local dealer doesn't want them either.
Valued Member
United States
315 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2019  3:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pauldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder how much Provident or APMEX would pay. Could be less than eBay, even after fees, though.

At this point, I'd wait and see what happens to the price of silver. It dipped recently, but is now making a nice recovery, and might even keep rising.

I recently bought a small bunch of 1970's commemorative Canadian silver dollars, assuming they were 80% silver, and then learning that they were 50%.
Edited by Pauldog
06/24/2019 11:49 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9795 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2019  12:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...it doesn't really make sense to sell them.

Depends on what your goal is. If you absolutely want to turn a profit on a loser* no matter how long it takes then it definitely doesn't makes sense to sell. However if you want to cut your losses and put your money elsewhere where you have a chance of recouping your painful gouges...that might make more sense.

*FWIW: I am invested in silver from when it was stupid to invest in silver. I am hanging on to it because I can and we'll see what happens. I'm in a similar boat so I feel I needed to qualify my subjective remarks.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05