Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My First Of The Supposed "Five Good Emperors".

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
89 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2019  03:43 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Canefan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Really happy to have picked this Hadrian Denarius up. Interesting character in Roman history. RIC II 77a/ Cohen 1102. 3.57g, 18.8 mm.

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15269 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2019  06:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have an Italian relative by marriage, his name is Adriano (Hadrian).
Excellent portrait - a real plus for Roman coins,
looks nothing like my relo. although my niece has a pHd in Roman acheology.
Learn More...
United States
22288 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2019  08:44 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent detail, four more of the good one to go.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5527 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2019  09:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And a first year type to boot! Excellent pick-up!
New Sale! Inexpensive classic Greek silver, over 2,400 years old!

http://goccf.com/t/323297
Pillar of the Community
United States
2978 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2019  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's very beautiful
I've gotten in trouble before
And I will certainly get in trouble again .......
But it's so beautiful I think I would want to get it inspected by Mssr Sear
Beauty has been the downfall of many a "poor" boy
Some of the magnificent 'duds' of late have been of the 5 good emperors

But I do hope for the best
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1301 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2019  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've sat back and waited to see if anyone else thought the same as me...

When I firt saw this coin it didn't seem right..I can't put my finger on why but the overal look seems wrong?...But I hasten to add that I'm not really experienced enough, or brave enough, to say its not real? Obviously FVRIVS RVFVS has a similar feeling what about some of the other experts?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11124 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2019  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@CF, I can't comment with any authority on your coin's authenticity, but to my inexperienced eyes, there isn't anything obviously worrisome. @FR and @palouche are much better judges of this!

I do see a rough patch on the portrait's neck, but that looks like damage rather than casting bubbles. I'm interested to see what others think.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
United States
89 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2019  02:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Canefan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all for the input. You guys certainly have much more experience in collecting coins then I do. I definitely will take it to a respected dealer in the area for his opinion. Weight and size are same as others I looked into while researching this variety. have found from other sales. I got it from Frank Robinson's last auction. Came in a coin flip that appears to be marked from a different auction company, can't recall name and away from house at the moment.
Valued Member
United States
484 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2019  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Provenance is always very helpful in determining authenticity. Frank Robinson is a very reputable seller, so I'd be happy to own a coin purchased from him.

Congratulations on a spectacular specimen.
Edited by travelcoin
04/25/2019 4:20 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11124 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2019  2:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@tc, you are spot on about provenance.

I agree that Frank is reputable, although I have commented in the past here about his willingness to sell fakes. He clearly labels those lots as fakes but I would prefer if he abstained from selling them at all.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
Canada
56 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2019  2:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Claudius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it is from Frank Robinson it's good... if on the 1% chance a mistake was made he will certainly make it right.
Beautiful coin.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15269 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2019  08:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My 'gut feeling says genuine, that makes me 99% sure.

I would never have thought otherwise, but the prompting has made me consider that there is no sign of metal flow on the outside of edge tops of the letters in the legend. I really don't thinks this means much, and I still really do feel that it's genuine.

Have a look inside those radial edge cracks with a powerful loupe. The metal inside the cracks should exhibit tensile metal distress, resulting from the strike. At least that should prove that it's not pressure die cast, or centrifugal die cast.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2978 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2019  09:17 am  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is the reverse legend which first attracted my 'jaundiced' eye
Look carefully at the P M TR P
With the exception of the second P the die engraver has really made a hash of them
Now compare with the COS III
They look different
And they look somewhat "distressed" while the flan of the coin shows no such "distress"
In fact the fields are perfect
Like the die had a machine lapped surface

Without holding the piece in hand we are all somewhat in the dark
But I do see some sparks !

Lastly
Can anyone here name a well respected dealer or auction house that has not "pulled" a coin listed or otherwise been fooled by a good fake ?
If you can then I suspect that either they have not been active for many years nor have they listed many coins for sale !

Regrettably fakes are something we must endure
And when seeking an expert I recommend paying an old fossil like David Sear
(rather than asking a 30 something salesman wearing a tailored Italian suit and with a Porsche roadster parked outside)
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15269 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2019  09:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Without taking to someone with the experience of David Sear,
perhaps may I suggest that you take it to a scrap gold buyer, who has a hand held XRF instrument.
Consider the percentage of alloying metals, not the silver.

My take on a typical alloy analysis for a denarius of Hadrian is that
:- silver purity should be round 92%, if the alloy follows established research into the debasement history of Roman silver coins,
:- copper alloy deliberately added about 5%,
:- all other metals combined around 3%.

Note that the Romans were incapable of refining silver beyond about 97% purity. hence my comment "all other metals combined around 3%"
If you get a discreet alloy analysis of .900 fine, or .925 fine sterling silver, or even a lesser purity but with only copper in the alloy, you can safely bet that a modern coinage metal was used.
Edited by sel_69l
04/27/2019 10:16 am
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2019  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eteokles to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very attractive coin. Great eye appeal!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05