Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Evaluating - 1954 $2 Bill

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
103 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2019  1:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Coin Noob to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I inherited an estate collection and am looking for a lot of help (my apologies) but I just don't know enough about this to be confident in the information I find. So I seek the help of the pros.

I have an un-circulated (in a sleeve and labelled as such) "Devil Face" 1954 $2 bill. Can anyone help me value this? I have a million more posts and a million more questions as well lol

Thank you.
Valued Member
Canada
447 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2019  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You should definitely visit this site for your Canadian bills and coins.

http://www.coinsandcanada.com/bankn...1&id_denom=3

This is also a great site.
http://www.saskatooncoinclub.ca/art...ns-ver2.html
Edited by GMS5
04/24/2019 2:42 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
35532 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2019  2:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please, no more than 10,000 questions per day!

to the CCF!
Valued Member
Canada
103 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2019  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coin Noob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
haha Thanks. I've already come to the realization that this isn't going to work. For this bill for example. The grade listed on it only says "unc". That site then break that down into even more grades it seems, which I don't think I am capable of deciding.

UNC-60 UNC-62 CUNC-63 CUNC-64 GUNC-65 GUNC-66 GUNC-67

(I just cut and paste that from your link.)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2145 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2019  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
for bills, condition is key, then you have the devils face, then we need the bill's number to see if it is a replacement note, or a short run to determine value..try posting a photo, it really helps..
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2444 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2019  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Assuming that it really is an UNC $2 Devil's face, it catalogues at least $300. So at any rate that note has value.
Valued Member
Canada
103 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2019  8:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coin Noob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I mean, it was my dad (or the shop he bought it from 40 years ago) that labelled it as such. I cannot say either way for certain. It's definitely pristine, and definitely a devils face version. However the prefix isn't listed on the coin site. *shrug* lol

Pillar of the Community
Canada
918 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2019  11:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They only list the prefixes that are relatively rare, the listing with no prefix captures all other prefixes. Yours is not a rare version, but still probably worth $150+ assuming it is in uncirculated condition. Hard to grade notes from pictures.
Valued Member
Canada
447 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2019  10:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Going solely by your picture, I cant see any folds and the centering is off on the right hand side, and the corners all look good and sharp. Colour looks nice and fresh.
This note could be in the range of UNC-62 TO CUNC-64, which on the website I mentioned above values at $280 - $410.
Very nice Note.
Valued Member
Canada
103 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2019  1:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coin Noob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hadn't noticed it being off center.... good catch. Not sure if that's good or bad necessarily, just that I hadn't noticed.

Agreed, pictures can't really do it justice. I'd rather leave it in the plastic, which hinders the ability to get a good crisp photo.

Thanks for the responses :)
Valued Member
Canada
360 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2019  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"GMS5" is noting that your Devil's Face $2 is slightly off-centered because in higher grades it does matter (separating the note from "Gem Unc65" where it becomes a factor). However, as nice as it looks, it must be inspected in person first to see that it still retains embossing & texture (which is impossible to discern with scans/most pictures).

If it has been flattened (pressed in a book) the impression left by the serial number won't be noticeable & that will bring down its book value.
Valued Member
Canada
103 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2019  2:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coin Noob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good to know. In your opinion, would it be worth sending off to have professionally graded?

I have actually pulled my my proper camera (with a macro lens among others) and could take far better pictures..... but I wonder if you could answer that without additional pictures.

Should I send it to be graded by a pro? (I am only beginning to become familiar with such places as ICSS) A good shows perhaps the CCCS may be more appropriate?

Please let me know :)
Valued Member
Canada
360 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2019  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In the past, I wasn't a big fan of TPG but I have been slowly won over since it does take so much "guesswork" out of appraising &/or selling notes. But I wouldn't be prone to use their services unless the note was of certain book value (threshold). With your Devil's Face (DF) note- if it weren't pressed- it would definitely be worth it. In order to judge the banknote you must take it out of the holder (carefully) and then hold it at an angle with direct light in order to see the shadows cast from typical embossing (& typical slight ripples found in DF's). A dealer could also help you determine whether it is "original" or "EPQ" (Exceptional Paper Quality). This is important because if it's been pressed the note won't get these designations & it will be worth at least $100 -$150 less. One word of warning- TPG's use a lightbox and will see the slightest of defects- if they discover anything at all- it can disqualify a note. I have had this experience which can be pretty painful (in terms of learning how much I overpaid for an over-graded note).

If these shadows appear- then I would get it graded. Personally, I would send it to BCS because he's conservative and well respected amongst the community. Directions on how to submit are here:
https://www.banknotecertification.c...tosubmit.php

Others might prefer PMG but I am still unfamiliar on how to submit to this American based company. For some odd reason, you must join them (or go through an approved dealer) and you can read about that here:
https://www.pmgnotes.com/services/submitting.aspx

Good luck!
Edited by walk2dwater
04/28/2019 4:54 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05