Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Star Notes Less Rare Than I Thought?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 1,245Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
168 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2019  3:45 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 1962penny to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I work as a cashier here in Montana and its been fun seeing a lot of old coins come through (even got some silver certificates come through!). I always put my own money in the till to take whatever interesting comes through. I have been swapping out one dollar bills with any $1 star notes that come through. Is this worth doing? I dont want to waste all my cash if this is not worth it. I understand that the rarity/value depends on the size of the run and the serial numbers. All my star notes are 2009 and 2013, from moderately-common to common runs. Is it even worth pulling these guys out to save them?
Thanks for the help!

(I am not new here, but my account got reset haha)
Pillar of the Community
United States
3521 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2019  4:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have to evaluate them on an individual basis. That's all part of the hobby.

You have to kiss a lot of frogs to meet your prince.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1267 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2019  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
condition is important too, a modern star note that is wrinkled, stained, and written upon is unlikely to be worth more than face value
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64279 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2019  6:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Steve calls it - too many "ifs".

But Steve - no kissing, please!

to the Paper Money Forum!
Edited by Coinfrog
04/24/2019 6:14 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11421 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2019  6:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You have to evaluate them on an individual basis.

Quote:
condition is important too...

Both true. Be careful of the "it's just a dollar" mentality. You can easily wind up with hundreds of dollars tied up in wrinkled cash when they're worth close to face and are being eroded by inflation. Sometimes you might get lucky and find a star with a low print run, you just have to (as Steve said) evaluate each one.

Quote:
no kissing, please!

Prude!
Valued Member
United States
168 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2019  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1962penny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Be careful of the "it's just a dollar" mentality. You can easily wind up with hundreds of dollars tied up in wrinkled cash when they're worth close to face and are being eroded by inflation

good point. thank you so much
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64279 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2019  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So true. About ten years ago I culled almost $400 face from my collection and bought two certified notes which have appreciated nicely since then.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4208 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2019  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good move Mr. Frog. I'm considering busting out clad proof sets and just spending the coins.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11421 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2019  12:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And how about that box of 2006 silver proof sets, Mr bucks? That would definitely buy you a few nice notes.
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2021  7:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 17854895489 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes it is worth doing
$1 star notes from 2017 are worth $1.99 and $1 star notes from 2013 can sell for $2.34
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64279 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2021  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is no way to generalize. The value of star notes from any series depends on the condition and the issuing district. The $1 2017 star from Minneapolis, for example, is typically worth $200 or more in CU. Stars in circulated condition from many other districts in this 2017 issue carry little if any premium.
Edited by Coinfrog
11/07/2021 7:27 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
134 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  09:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Orac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In terms of actual rarity, the occurrence of star notes has been found to be less than one percent in certain note populations. Normal Star note occurrence has been shown to be approximately 0.62% in certain US notes (Star replacement note survey. Editor's Column. IBNS Journal, 34, 4, p2.).

However, collectors distort this scarcity by seeking out the notes!
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  12:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 17854895489 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Star notes are worth keeping! One from 2013 can be worth $14!
Learn More...
United States
108260 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
3521 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Modern replacement notes (star notes) are valued with several distinguishable characteristics considered. Condition is paramount along with availability. Some replacement notes are distributed in 100-note packs and some are found as pairs inserted into a pack of regular, non-replacement notes. Pricing is dependent on supply and demand. Most uncirculated key star notes for a series and denomination are valued at much more than $14.00. Take the series 2013 Kansas City $1 FRN with only 250K printed. These can fetch hundreds of dollars.

Edited by SteveInTampa
11/08/2021 1:49 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
134 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  4:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Orac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I collect US small size notes, series 1928 and 1928A by District, and have been nicely surprised by how inexpensive the star notes can be in low grade :)

I also collect Irish star notes by date - some of the dates have printages as low as 10,000. Although I strive for UNC, I will take any grade I can get if I don't have the date.
In the good old days I could get them from the bank, in UNC.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 1,245Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.46 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: