Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Star Notes Less Rare Than I Thought?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
147 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2019  3:45 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 1962penny to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I work as a cashier here in Montana and its been fun seeing a lot of old coins come through (even got some silver certificates come through!). I always put my own money in the till to take whatever interesting comes through. I have been swapping out one dollar bills with any $1 star notes that come through. Is this worth doing? I dont want to waste all my cash if this is not worth it. I understand that the rarity/value depends on the size of the run and the serial numbers. All my star notes are 2009 and 2013, from moderately-common to common runs. Is it even worth pulling these guys out to save them?
Thanks for the help!

(I am not new here, but my account got reset haha)
Pillar of the Community
United States
2202 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2019  4:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have to evaluate them on an individual basis. That's all part of the hobby.

You have to kiss a lot of frogs to meet your prince.
Valued Member
United States
394 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2019  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
condition is important too, a modern star note that is wrinkled, stained, and written upon is unlikely to be worth more than face value
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
39116 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2019  6:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Steve calls it - too many "ifs".

But Steve - no kissing, please!

to the Paper Money Forum!
Edited by Coinfrog
04/24/2019 6:14 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9924 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2019  6:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You have to evaluate them on an individual basis.

Quote:
condition is important too...

Both true. Be careful of the "it's just a dollar" mentality. You can easily wind up with hundreds of dollars tied up in wrinkled cash when they're worth close to face and are being eroded by inflation. Sometimes you might get lucky and find a star with a low print run, you just have to (as Steve said) evaluate each one.

Quote:
no kissing, please!

Prude!
Valued Member
United States
147 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2019  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1962penny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Be careful of the "it's just a dollar" mentality. You can easily wind up with hundreds of dollars tied up in wrinkled cash when they're worth close to face and are being eroded by inflation

good point. thank you so much
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
39116 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2019  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So true. About ten years ago I culled almost $400 face from my collection and bought two certified notes which have appreciated nicely since then.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2019  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good move Mr. Frog. I'm considering busting out clad proof sets and just spending the coins.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9924 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2019  12:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And how about that box of 2006 silver proof sets, Mr bucks? That would definitely buy you a few nice notes.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05