Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

"Unsearched" Penny Rolls On Ebay

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2019  3:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 1962penny to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I believe I read on here a while back about this topic, but I couldnt relocate it.
On eBay, it is very common to have sellers advertising "unsearched" Wheat penny rolls. I'm not naive; I'm not believing for a second that they're unsearched. It might as well just be advertised as Wheat penny Rolls for sale.
My question is, what is the likelihood that there is anything good in these rolls at all? Assuming they are searched and anything of real value has been taken, would it be safe to assume the rolls will be dominated by dates from the 40's and 50's?
Has anyone had experience with buying a few of these rolls? Would love to hear some feedback! Thanks guys.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1943 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2019  4:22 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very likely they will be mostly 40s and 50s. You'd be hard pressed to find any lot of wheat cents that isn't.

If not most, they will be about half 40s-50s, half extremely worn and nearly illegible 10s-30s. Based on experience from the one time I did buy an "unsearched" roll.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3200 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2019  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unsearched by the last person (seller) AT BEST.

Typically 48-49 common date 40s and 50s and 1 or 2 from the semi-key dish.
-----Burton
45 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Valued Member
United States
244 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2019  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My opinion is if you are going to do it, buy from a sell with a good reputation that says they seed the rolls with semi key and key dates also.

Technically no mixed date circulated wheat cents are "unsearched". they've been extensively searched, just not searched by that ebay seller. (but could be searched even by them, who would know?)

There are sellers though that put in better date coins for people to find so if I was going to do it, I'd look for one of those sellers.
Oh, also keep in mind that it's basically just a roll of copper circulated cents, don't overpay for what it is. it's unlikely the roll will have anything higher grade in it.
Edited by Big-Kingdom
04/24/2019 4:59 pm
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2019  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1962penny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for the replies!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10645 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2019  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As you said , you are not nave so no need to have asked that question ,but since you did here goes . These Wheat cent rolls are made up to entice the beginner coin collectors . Sellers offer them at cheap to moderate prices so they know there's no problem getting rid of them . The newbie buyer will pounce on them to start their Lincoln Wheat cent collection or if they are that nave to think they may find a key or semi-key in these so-called unsearched rolls .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17952 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2019  08:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I always love that statement about any coins being unsearched. Really a dumb statement yet so many think it's real.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
88 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2019  09:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jafo50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Un-searched rolls are right up there with Unicorns and the Easter Bunny. They don't exist, as far as I know <lol>.
Learn More...
United States
71027 Posts
United States
43 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2019  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pound_foolish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I find that if you locate a seller with excellent feedback, you're probably going to get a mix of later-mintage wheats that may have been searched for keys and semi-keys, but will likely contain some varieties (usually RPMs from the 1950s, sometimes a DDO). I enjoy finding those, so I do buy them from time to time. Better yet, go to a coin show, and find a dealer who may have some rolls or bags for sale. Buy a roll, look through them there with a loupe, and if their wheats are all from the same lot, buy more. Truthfully you have to enjoy looking for the sake of looking, and those varieties keep me going through the occasional bulk (I won't call them "unsearched") bag.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1668 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2019  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Over used term...if that person didn't search them the the 10 before him did. It'd be nice to see a sale for an OBW roll, from a small town bank.

KK
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05