Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1914 - 50 Cent Piece. Value?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
103 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2019  2:52 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Coin Noob to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
As always (with a few more posts to come) here is one I'd like some help valuing...

All advice / info is welcome.

Valued Member
Canada
493 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2019  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say F-15, maybe a VF-20. $100.00 - $300.00
Mintage
50 cents 1914 : 160,128
Specifications
Alloy: 92.5% silver, 7.5% copper
Weight: 11.62 grams
Diameter : 29.72 mm
Engraver: Obverse: Sir E. B. MacKennal, Reverse: L. C. Wyon, W. H. J. Blackemore
Designer: Obverse: Sir E. B. MacKennal, Reverse: L. C. Wyon, W. H. J. Blackemore
Edge: Reeded
Magnetism: Nonmagnetic
Die axis: #8593;#8593;
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
9609 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2019  3:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
9609 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2019  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1491 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2019  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VG10/F12 at best.
Valued Member
Canada
56 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2019  4:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tlutz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Vg10, I agree with vg that is written on the 2x2
Valued Member
Canada
353 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2019  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Talonbat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the 2x2 this is a VG8 coin. From your pictures it doesn't look like it has quite enough detail to hit VG-10 for me. Very nice strong date though. Coinsandcanada and trends put this at around $50 book value in reality if you wanted it to actually sell on eBay I'd expect you'd get around $30. A dealer would obviously give you less. I would say it's problem free but it does have that big dig on the obverse, still nice coin because of the strong date .
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
39243 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2019  6:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VG-08, perhaps VG-10 at best.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3030 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2019  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Solid VG not better.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
788 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2019  6:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add punman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been looking for a 1914 for the last year and have been kind of pricing them out on eBay auction. Have not picked one up yet. My "serious" 50 cent collection is 1937 onwards. I just kind of look for "fillers" for the old ones.

So you will laugh at my grading observations for the 1914. Ones worn so bad that the date is barely visible (I know, you are supposed to go by the other side!) have been selling with shipping price for around $19. Ones like yours about double that, but not much more.
Edited by punman
04/25/2019 9:25 pm
Valued Member
Canada
103 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2019  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coin Noob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome thanks everyone. IT at least gives me a range. I may have to set up EBay to off load these. All good tips! Much appreciated!
Valued Member
Canada
103 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2019  11:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coin Noob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why would I laugh? Sounds reasonable to me.... and you are probably more aware of the market than a price guide. :)

You should pick mine up lol

Opps can't say that yet haha
Valued Member
Canada
345 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2019  08:59 am  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm on the VG 8 bandwagon.
Valued Member
Canada
103 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2019  11:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coin Noob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at the examples from the link above..... to my untrained eye anyway, it's very subjective it seems. I see some examples that would be from the VG 8 portion, but then also some that look like F 12 might fit. Even in the samples provided for either grade VG 8 or F 12, there is still quite a difference within each grade. :/

Thanks guys.

Would it be beneficial at all for me to pull them from the 2x2 temporarily (with gloves?) and use a proper camera and macro lens to get better pictures? I do have the camera gear.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05