Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Please Help ID These 3 Ancient Coins...

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2019  11:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add qktbird to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found these 3 ancient coins in a lot of foreign coins I bought. I Searched and searched online and on ebay to find ones like them but there are so many that I only found 1 but I'm still not positive on it's ID. This is the first time I've dealt with ancient coins. I'm not even sure how to tell if these are real and have no idea if they're worth anything. Any info you could give would be greatly appreciated!

I think this first one is Licinius II from 308-324 AD

These other two, I have no idea what they are. I had no idea where to begin when looking them up and couldn't find an exact match to them.

Here's the last one....

Learn More...
United States
22403 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2019  11:57 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The first one appears to be Licinius, the next Constantine the Great and the last I can't make out the legend but it might be Julian?
Pillar of the Community
United States
933 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2019  12:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Biancasdad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin #1 is actually Licinius II like this: http://www.coinproject.com/coin_det...?coin=304491

As Ron said coin #2 is Constantine like this: http://www.coinproject.com/coin_det...p?coin=53963

Coin #3 is actually Crispus like this: http://www.coinproject.com/siteimag...-1780237.jpg

Edited by Biancasdad
04/30/2019 12:43 am
United States
40 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2019  04:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pilegicvs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To add a little to the above identification -
The mintmark is on the reverse under the design. SM is a Latin abbreviation for Sacra Moneta ('sacred money').
Coin 1 struck in Alexandria. Abbreviated AL.
Coin 2 struck in Antioch. Abbreviated ANT.
Coin 3 struck in Cyzicus. Abbreviated K.

The last 2 are commonly referred to as "Campgates" for the reverse design.

There are a lot of Latin abbreviations on Roman coins, it starts getting easier once you get the hang of it...

I found the free download of E.R.I.C. (first edition) immensely useful when the author made it available. The Wildwinds website also good to browse.
Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2019  05:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add qktbird to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everyone for all the helpful information and links! These ancient coins are a whole different thing from what I'm used to. They are pretty interesting so I'll have to try to find some time to learn a little more about them. Just one more question.....what is E.R.I.C that you downloaded? Sounds like a book with it being first edition. If it's helpful in identifying these coins or has more information on them, I'll have to try to find it to download too. Thanks again for all the help!
Learn More...
United States
22403 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2019  08:54 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ERIC (Encyclopedia of Roman Imperial Coins) is available for free download. Check out the sticky section here and you will be able to find it along with a lot of useful information on Ancient coins.

ERIC is an old version so it is limited, ERIC II which is the more recent volume covers Roman and Byzantine coinage you can find copies on eBay and from the authors website at http://www.dirtyoldbooks.com
Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2019  8:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add qktbird to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome, I'll find the link to download that and check out the website too. Thanks again for all the help!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05