Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

First Two Boxes In Years Since Being Out For A While

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 726Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2019  12:45 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 1962penny to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Good morning,
This week I just finished up my first penny and nickel box for the first time in a few years since moving and being out of the hobby for too long

Anyways, was curious to get takes from people on what an average box yields. I know that every box is different, and theres never a way of knowing what youre going to get. But I know most of you guys keep stats on each box you hunt, so I assume you guys have a pretty good idea of when a box is above or below average.
My penny box was weak- only got one 1946-S and a 1947-S, along with 12 Canadians.
However, I think my nickel box did fairly well, heres the list-
1947, 1947-S
1952-D
1953-S
1957-D
1959-D (x3)
1962 of exceptional condition (an upgrade for my album)
1965 of exceptional condition (an upgrade for my album)

My question here is in your experience, is this an average haul that can be expected to happen often? I'mextremely happy with the finds in that nickel box. Or, is this a haul that I shouldn't get my hope up of finding very often? Again, I know every box is different and I shouldn't really expect anything. And again, I am very happy with these results; I'm not claiming that this was just a boring average box, because I was stoked to find these coins! Anyways, I'm being long-winded here, but just curious about other people's experiences.
Thanks so much in advance for reading and taking time to reply!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1260 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2019  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm. For pennies I'd say that box underperformed but not sure if you look for copper or die varieties also or just wheat cents. Even as wheat cents should be more than two and usually common 1950s era. The two S mint are better than usual I think for only getting 2 out of it.

The nickel box was above average but for me at least nickels have been productive searches with decent finds and an occasional buffalo. My last box had a no date buffalo 1 War Nickel and a handful of earlier jeffersons. Not a lot of value to nickel hunting though but it seems easy finds and it goes mostly neglected since only a bit if silver and no copper to be had. The metal hunters don't really go through them and stick to the 90%ers and 40%ers or copper mine cents.
Learn More...
United States
94141 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2019  3:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
However, I think my nickel box did fairly well, heres the list-
Nice finds!

Quote:
1962 of exceptional condition (an upgrade for my album)
1965 of exceptional condition (an upgrade for my album)
Excellent!
Learn More...
United States
18202 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2019  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@1962, nice work. While I can't offer an answer to your question, I'm wondering if you could post a couple pics of your favorite new pieces to this thread. It is always nice to see some drool-worthy pics here.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2019  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1962penny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes! Heres a few photos of the nicer condition 60's coins I kept for album upgrades

I like the 1960 the best
Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2019  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1962penny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
just finished my second nickel box. The haul was even better than the first box that I made this thread regarding.
This box:
1940, 1940-S
1941 x2
1942-S
1944-P
1946-S
1947-D
1952 x2
1953, 1953-S
1954, 1954-D x2
1957-D
1958-D
1959-D
Plus 2 Canadians

Bedrock of the Community
26893 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2019  01:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1962penny, congratulations on finishing your second box! Also, congratulations on finding a Buffalo nickel.
Learn More...
United States
94141 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2019  09:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yes! Heres a few photos of the nicer condition 60's coins I kept for album upgrades
Looking good.

Quote:
just finished my second nickel box. The haul was even better than the first box that I made this thread regarding.
Fantastic!
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 726Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05