Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

5 Coin Lot, Vabalathus & Gallienus And 3 Others To Identify Please?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7905 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2019  9:41 pm Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I don't see Vabalathus turn up often as a single coin, much less mixed in with random unattributed lots, so this auction was quite fun to win (assuming they're not fakes!)

My guesses as to identification - can you refine or correct them? (Going clockwise around the picture)

1. Vabalathus / Aurelianus AE Antoninianus.
RIC V.1 381, gamma (3rd officina)
IMP C AVRELIANVS AVG / VABALATHVS VCRIM DR

2. Gallienus AE Antoninanus.
RIC V.1 612 (Asian mints)
Radiate & cuirassed bust right / Mars? standing right, holding spear in left hand and leaning on shield with right hand / "PXV" in ex
GALLIENVS AVG / VIRTVS AVG

3. Constantine I (commemorative) follis (?)
RIC VIII Antioch 37, poss. 7th officina (SMANΗ ?)
Veiled bust right / emperor driving quadriga with star in field and manus dei above, mint in ex.
DV CONSTANTI-NVS PT AVGG / no rev. legend

4. This one is killing me. AE something or other. Head looks eastern style and later empire. Can't read the legends, except perhaps "DN..(A?)(R?)C(A?).." obverse. My GUESS is possibly Arcadius based on the draped bust and beaded head; the reverse appears to be a "Victory crowning the Emperor" type, executed somewhat crudely (?), and there is a mintmark, perhaps Antioch or Cyzicus (?) -- could this be an imitative issue or just a poorly engraved branch mint?

5. Constantius II (?), AE3 or thereabouts if I am right
Diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust right
"Soldier spearing fallen horseman" reverse
Constantinople mint, CONSε perhaps, or Θ ? in ex. Reverse legend mostly gone but presumably FTR.
There does appear to be a center dot but no visible field marks.
Looks similar to RIC VIII Constantinople 121 (Epsilon) in design and legend breaks. Rotated picture below to fix rev. orientation.

DN CONSTANT-IVS PF AVG / FEL TEMP RE-PARATIO

Thoughts/additions welcomed!

Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
United States
4167 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2019  10:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
4..."DN..(A?)(R?)C(A?).." obverse. My GUESS is possibly Arcadius...

Hard to tell but I think we may see "MNA" for the mintmark with - possibly - an "S" trying to exit stage left. I would guess Nicomedia.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7905 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2019  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good eyes, Bob. I thought about Nicomedia as well but couldn't find an example with a similar reverse motif. The more I look at it the more it looks like ARCA but that could just be my bias.

I'm pretty happy with the Vabalathus; I just won another one recently and the one in this lot is in much better shape.

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
United States
4167 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2019  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...couldn't find an example with a similar reverse motif.

Still looks more like MNA to me, Adam, with a trace of an S at left. But I could just imagining things. Here are two Arcadius SMNA's from Nicomedia:

http://augustuscoins.com/AVEc.jpg
http://www.coinproject.com/siteimag...10251q00.jpg
Edited by Bob L
05/05/2019 10:30 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7905 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2019  10:46 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Given your experience and knowledge I'd tend to think you were right in any case. Once I get these coins in-hand I will see if I can make it a bit clearer.
I see (S)MNA as well when I look at it, the S is nearly off the flan. The 2nd link you posted appears to be the exact same die pair!
That would make it RIC X Nicomedia 62a, listed as an AE3 struck btw. 395-401 w/VIRTUS EXERCITI rev.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2228 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2019  11:38 pm  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was a bidder on that lot but had to go to bed before the auction ended. I was interested in the Aurelian and Vabalathus.

The Constantine quadriga wasn't a bad coin either.

Congratulations on winning it.
Paul Bulgerin
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7905 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2019  11:43 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, Paul. I wasn't looking to snipe fellow CCF members, but when I saw that Vabalathus ...

United States
27 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2019  04:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pilegicvs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An interesting group, as Vabalathus and Constantine's posthumous types sell very well all by themselves. I sometimes think of ARCADIUS as the patron of Computer Aided Design/Drafting/Drawing (CAD). The CA, or CAD always seems to be visible on his coins. The Victory crowning the Augustus is a common reverse for Arcadius and Honorius.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05