Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Double Headed 1973 UK 10 Pence Piece

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United Kingdom
2 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2019  04:51 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jjroxford to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello Coin Community,

Following the passing of my father I have acquired his collection of rare and unusual things. One of them being a number of coins and stamps he found over the years. This is one of those coins. A double headed 10p piece from 1973, I remember him telling me that his father spotted it in his change one day and kept it...apparently to make decisions on who would be dealing the next round of cards
(worked in his favour as you might imagine)

Did my grandad counterfeit this thing, or was it a genuine find ?
Any info would be much appreciated

Valued Member
United Kingdom
257 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2019  06:32 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I strongly suspect counterfeited by someone. The give away is the second obverse picture - the thin line close to the edge is the result of someone milling out the reverse, leaving the edge intact, and then insetting a trimmed down second head. In this way you avoid the join-line around the rim to get a more convincing result.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
607 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2019  07:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Anaximander to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum.

I agree with PaddyB. In the photo the join is particularly obvious from 9 oclock to 12 oclock. It is still a very nice thing to have, especially with family connections.
United Kingdom
2 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2019  07:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jjroxford to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your swift response and excellent info. It looks quite obvious now you have pointed it out! I wonder where he found it , then?
An interesting story , thanks so much for your help
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16069 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2019  08:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably the most common method for making double obverse, or double reverse fake coins.
Edge looks OK but the join is found on the face not the edge.

Coincidentally, I an reviewing a public auction catalog. Currently on offer is a double obverse Australian 5 Cents;
(description of the lot):
"5c 2007 Struck from 2 obverse dies, die axis upset 180 degrees,
Surface marks, ow near UNC. RARE (pictured) est. (AUD) $1500-$2,000
"
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42658 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2019  09:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fun coin for bet flipping, as long as you get to call first!
Learn More...
United States
79134 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1402 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2019  07:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does the direction of the portraits line up?
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
5785 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, would be interesting to know if the portraits line up! Someone obviously took quite a bit of trouble to make it!
Edited by NumisRob
05/15/2019 6:12 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.19 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05