Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Finn's In The Owl Club!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5628 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2019  3:29 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
It took a long time, and at least a few dozen auctions lost, but I can finally cross off one of my "bucket list" coins - the classic Athens Tetradrachm!

Despite an apparent hoard working its way through the market, an Athenian tetradrachm is not a coin that comes cheap, ever. While Athens tets that are worn mostly flat or look like they were fished out of a running garbage disposal are available and relatively (~$100) cheap, they are tough to find for under $500, and can easily go into the thousands as one approaches "fleur de coin". I went in with a specific set of criteria:

- Must have the entire face on-flan
- Must have the entire helmet and at least most of the crest on-flan
- No significant test cuts or banker's marks obscuring important details
- Must be very close to full weight (17g)
- Must have a bold, fully struck owl and AΘE
- Preferably should have full olive sprig on flan
- Ideally should show its age; e.g. not make me wonder if it was made last year in a Bulgarian counterfeit shop
- Must be in pleasing style

This was my ultimate selection

Attica, Athens
AR Tetradrachm 25mm, 16.96g
Classic period, 454-404 BC
Obv: Helmeted head of Athena right, eye facing viewer
Rev: Owl standing right, facing viewer; AΘE left, Olive sprig above right

Let's see those Owls!
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Learn More...
United States
73436 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1420 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2019  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Super looking coin Steve!

Met all your criterias and some...

Love the shape of the flan it seems to follow the external features of the face and then pops up nicely to show the crest...

Congratulations...Paul
Learn More...
United States
22416 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2019  4:22 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Steve, excellent coin congrats and finally getting one. I still don't have one.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3994 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2019  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hoo-hooray! That's a beut, finn.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
28046 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2019  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow,
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
496 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2019  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your patience has paid off! Congratulations on a real beauty.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5628 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2019  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys!

It really is a shame that so many people pick these as their "one ancient coin" otherwise they would be cheap enough for everyone to own one!
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12046 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2019  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Let's see those Owls!

Don't have to ask me twice! How many need to be posted before we have a parliament?

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2019  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eteokles to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a sharp coin. Congrats on the pick up!
Learn More...
United States
73436 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2019  08:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It really is a shame that so many people pick these as their "one ancient coin" otherwise they would be cheap enough for everyone to own one!
Sort of like key dates. Many priced well above what they should be.

Quote:
Don't have to ask me twice!
Very nice, Spence!
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1160 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2019  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add antwerpen2306 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
very nice coin , but your criteria were very difficult , so you can be proud for your criteria and your patience , congrats .
I have 4 tetradrachmes of Athens , 2 of this period and 2 of the period 355/350 .

The first : 449/413 , 25 mm , 17.1 gr,10 h , SNGCop 31
I bought this coin in june 85 and I have to make a better photo

The second is the newest model of the old style .
220mm ,17,2 gr , 10 h , Van Alfen,Owls,Group III a

I am looking now for a new style ( easiest to find) and an archaic style ( not the cheapest ) so I ll have the different owls from Athens .
I have choosen 4 coins I have to buy this year , and I found 2 coins on one week ( a tetradrachme from Syracuse old style and a Roman quinarius from the beginning ( bought 2) , so I have hope .
It is realy a very nice coin , everybody would have it in his collection; albert
Valued Member
United States
177 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2019  08:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add steviegetz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Heres mine. Bought it few years ago, it doesn't have much of a crest but I loved the look of it. And the owl was super nice

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.71 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05