Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1889 Canadian 25 Cent Coin.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
103 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2019  1:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Coin Noob to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Any thoughts on this grade? I've done my best guess using coinsandcanada.com, but would love more opinions. Also if I decide to send them off for grading, or find more of this coin, where would I send them for the cheapest grade, and is it cheaper to send in "bulk"?

Thanks for the info/responses.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
35552 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2019  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
G-06, old obverse scratch probably doesn't hurt the grade.
Edited by Coinfrog
05/08/2019 4:54 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
645 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2019  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Worth around $160-$170 on Ebay.
Valued Member
Canada
103 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2019  11:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coin Noob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all...

I made an ad on Kijiji and left room to haggle. I prefer to try and sell them locally and avoid shipping hassles. *knock wood*
Pillar of the Community
United States
2384 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2019  04:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree w/VG-8. Don't certify it.
Valued Member
Canada
348 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2019  09:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Talonbat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin looks cleaned and or dipped recently and will surely lower the value. Canadian coin collectors are a small market if it sells on ebay for $150 you will be getting much less on kijiji in general.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
35552 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2019  09:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could have been cleaned, but I don't think recently.
Valued Member
Canada
348 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2019  10:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Talonbat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@coinfrog Look at all the new hairline scratches on the obverse exposing bright new silver. Then you have something deeper like the scratch in the middle of Victoria's bust where u can see the more natural patina inside of it. The pictures are very good and because of that I'd bet money on the recent cleaning and/or dipping.
Canada
35 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  6:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add whatdowehavehere to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
G6
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
35552 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's really hard to get a good read from these pics. I couldn't really argue the point with any conviction. It was just a quick first impression.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1166 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Check Pokermandude's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pokermandude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
G6
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1230 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
G6 not an 8
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2992 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  8:40 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good Details , would not straight Grade . Scratched , cleaned .
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2341 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  09:33 am  Show Profile   Check kuh_85's eBay Listings Check kuh_85's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add kuh_85 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ICCS (no website) or CCCS for grading. The more coins, the cheaper the per coin rate. See http://www.canadiancoincertificatio...hp?c=17&lg=1 ICCS rates are in the same ballpark.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1166 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  11:37 am  Show Profile   Check Pokermandude's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pokermandude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The marks are minor and generally acceptable on a coin of this low of grade. I'd be surprised if either CCCS or ICCS would give it a details grade.
Valued Member
Canada
103 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coin Noob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I listed a bunch on a popular, yet unnamed, auction site to get a better sense of the market.

I'll adjust accordingly in 19 days or so. I do not want any of the coins I inherited. It isn't a hobby for me, I prefer photography, and I have no kids to leave them to. So I am getting what I can and making a few memories. They're far more valuable to me than any possession. Especially ones which bank on an uncertain future.

See what I did there? Bank! Buhahaa *dad joke*
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05