Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1956 D Washington Quarter, ICG MS67, Opinions Please

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
123 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2019  10:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TheJman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This one came in an ICG slab. Wondering? Here are some images. Obverse: Dent on cheek and collar bone. I'm a bit confused with the reverse; it's got some powdery verdigris looking stuff on it, very thin layer that seems to be only on the surface. Thinking of returning it to seller in exchange for a different coin. Questions? Opinions? Oh and this is my 100th post on CCF. Happy Anniversary to my self!

Edited by TheJman
05/09/2019 4:10 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4350 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2019  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm a bit confused with the reverse;

So am I. Very strange when the Obv. looks so good. Why did you buy it? Are you planning on keeping it? It so, I'd break it out for some restoration.
Proud member of the Black Sheep Squadron!

Valued Member
United States
123 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2019  11:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheJman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was looking for a nice quarter for my collection, I don't have any others. I didn't expect the reverse to result as it has. I was thinking about restoration too but not sure if it would qualify, and depending on opinions on grade whether or not it would even be worth it.

Edited by TheJman
05/09/2019 03:43 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4350 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2019  11:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So what are you saying? You did or did not see the rev. before you purchased it? The rev. IMO will never come back, it's gone! What's the grade? I can't tell if it's market acceptable toning or damage.

Valued Member
United States
123 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2019  02:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheJman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I got to see the reverse before purchase, but just as you I could not conclude whether it was 'market acceptable toning or damage' exhibited. Now I have it in hand and I think its both. I'm going to have to take it in to a local shop to have it looked at professionally; I think that because whatever it is is so thin, or at least seems so thin (because most of coin surface is still bright/shiny) that the coin might still be 'conservable.' It was graded MS67. I have attached a video which I think better shows the reverse condition.

ECXBfBrz2_g

Bedrock of the Community
United States
28983 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2019  04:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats on 100 posts

Quote:
Questions? Opinions?
Stick with the top three TPGs,that's my opinion.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40324 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2019  08:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't know about the reverse, but that gouge in the right obverse field would hold it to maybe 63 for me.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11425 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2019  08:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you wanted a slabbed silver Quarter for your collection you picked the wrong one . As mentioned their are better TPG out there . A 56-D Quarter in MS-64 should not cost you a lot of money and you'll be much happier . Go ahead and return it if you can .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
4350 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2019  09:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
67? WoW!! That's surprising with those hits on the obv! Depending on when it was slabbed, the coin could have deteriorated/toned in the slab over time. Can you see breast feathers on the eagle? The rev. still seems to have some type of luster. However, in my opinion the eye appeal is gone.

Valued Member
United States
123 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2019  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheJman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, breast feathers look perfectly detailed. Here is a video showing the 'right field obverse condition' and a bit more of the general coin detail as well as the slab and grade.
4T3gebGLteg

I'm now leaning toward taking the advice above to return/ exchange this piece for another. It's a nice coin but the reverse is weirding me out and I am not seeing any confirmation for the grade given by ICG. Darn. Thank you to everyone on your opinions, very grateful .

Edited by TheJman
05/09/2019 3:59 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4350 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2019  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know now. I still see some luster through the rev. issue. I'm now leaning towards severe toning. How or why, I don't know. I'm not an expert. If the breast feather are there, then the rest of the coins details should be there. I guess it comes down to personal preference and eye appeal. My second thought is; if the coin was broken out and re-submitted to another TPG, would it grade 67?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11425 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2019  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What do you think guys , should we recommend to Thejman a dip or two in EZ-est ? I really don't like all those hits on obverse .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
692 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2019  11:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's just no way that would grade MS67 by NGC or PCGS in my opinion.

I wouldn't crack it out and try to restore it, I would return it.
There's much better looking coins in that grade to buy. Just not worth the hassle for a coin you aren't happy with and obviously can't be as it's graded to be.

If you were looking for a nice one for your collection, that one isn't it. Sorry.
Edited by Big-Kingdom
05/11/2019 11:01 am
Valued Member
United States
123 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2019  5:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheJman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the advice everyone.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12369 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2019  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What'd you pay for it?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
28983 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2019  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't dip it,return it if possible and stay with the top 3 TPGs'
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05