Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Bid Or Pass On This PCGS 1860 S?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
276 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2019  10:11 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Poll Question
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1860-S-10C...AOSwh81bdMJv

A few questions. What is it about this coin which they consider environmental damage? Looks fine through my old eyes. The strike is fantastic for the grade they gave.

So, should I bid on this? If so and I win, crack it out?

Poll Choices
 No.
  Yes, leave it as is.
  Yes, free it.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
35498 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2019  10:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Chances are the dark areas, especially in the lower obverse, are not just toned but corroded in a way that only greater magnification would reveal.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1815 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2019  10:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with Coinfrog. Likely not just toning but some corrosion that eats into the metal.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3662 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2019  11:32 am  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pitting is visable on this one, I'd stay away. I don't buy details as a rule of thumb except on those draped bust/ flowing hairs where it can get pricey.
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq...ukyxurAHKuRg
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1627 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2019  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aristarchus123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pitting seems strong left of the mintmark.
Valued Member
United States
209 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2019  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Daves Errors to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ballyhoo: Its a buy it now NOT a AUCTION ! Ya cant BID on it. If you got 337.49 Its up to you. ? to you, Why would you want to crack it out, your not going to try and clean it for a better coin grade are you? That's a NO NO..
Edited by Daves Errors
05/12/2019 3:10 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10636 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2019  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion I think PCGS is using the term ''environmental damage '' a little too loosely in this case . Might be a candidate for professional conservation if the value of an 1860-S Seated dime warrants it .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Valued Member
United States
276 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2019  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys. Been deliberating on this one, the price not all that bad for what it is. I'm a rather patient fella so I think a better one will likely pop up at or near that price. As far as cracking it out, I usually buy them uncertified, with exception to the keys, simply because they look and display much better in Air-tite holders. Not to mention the space savings. Those which I have cracked out were handled with a pair of gloves going straight into the round holder. I first photograph them, cut the sides and retain the shell for future proof.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3071 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2019  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't like it. There may be a bigger problem than can be seen from the pics, such has terminal toning (corrosion that has caused pitting). Cracking it out and trying to mess with it will likely be a mistake, that dark color likely won't get removed by acetone, and dipping will probably make it look like a mess.
Valued Member
United States
276 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2019  11:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bought this instead. Sweet!

Pillar of the Community
United States
1880 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  06:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would have gone for the dime, vs a shiny modern coin. Typical early SF with a problem. Maybe it was in a fire.

I drove up from Angel's Camp to Placerville yesterday. California gold country in the spring is beautiful.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17930 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  09:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would have gone for the dime, vs a shiny modern coin.

Same for me.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
276 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On my list. Almost bought one on EBAY before I drove to OHIO for this one. The dime was around $250 where this one set me back $380. I'm waiting for that one around the two-hundred mark. (I've seen two but got out bid). I think the quarter was the better of the two deals thus far. If you base both on the current spot I made out better on the one at hand. Not that I buy gold for the resale reason like those hedge fund collectors, I buy them as little over current as possible since the coin values themselves reflect as much.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1880 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  07:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I looked at a bowl full of raw double eagles yesterday for $30 over spot. All commons, both libs and saints, from jewelry to AU grade. They were selling at a lower premium than modern US or Krugerrands. Nice to see all that bullion piled together, and to handle them, but not in my budget.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15279 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin shows a fine porosity over the entire surface of the coin. It is most noticeable in the highlighted areas where the wear has worn through the dark color, Liberty's right arm and the rim
Gary Schmidt
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05