Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Member. Question I Hope To Get Answered

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  4:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add pop to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi.
I have an 1889 Morgan that has a number 3 stamped in the center of the eagle's breast. It is stamped, not engraved, and would like any information y'all might have on it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4127 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It doesn't sound or look good from where I'm sitting. Can you post any pictures here?
Proud member of the Black Sheep Squadron!

In Memory Of Those Members Who Left Us Too Soon.....
Bedrock of the Community
United States
28078 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Sounds like a counter stamp. Post some good pics when you can.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
3471 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF

The short answer is that it's likely PMD, post mint damage. Counterstamps, be they numbers, letters, symbols, logos, etc. are intentional forms of PMD. Many times, meaning can be attached to counterstamps. In many cases, as with random numbers or letters, only the one who stamped the coin knows the intent.

Learn More...
United States
73482 Posts
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  6:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Here you go
Valued Member
United States
378 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum. There is a small market of collectors who buy these. In defense of your's at least the maker concealed it somewhat unlike some I've seen where it obliterates the devices.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As a first day newcomer, thank you all for your responses! I'm especially interested in yours Ballyhoo. I inherited several coins, mostly Morgans and Peace dollars. But there are many coins that I'm having a hard time finding information for. I will continue to post to hopefully find as much info as I can.
Thanks again!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
28078 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  05:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is a lot of info out there for Morgans/Peace dollars including VAMS. You may want to buy a book or two. http://ec2-13-58-222-16.us-east-2.c...om/wiki/Home
John1
Pillar of the Community
United States
4127 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  09:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey John1- True or false... You could spent a career or lifetime on VAM's and never know it all?

Bedrock of the Community
United States
18151 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  09:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

And you would have to look up VAM in the Glossary now too.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
United States
28078 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  10:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hey John1- True or false... You could spent a career or lifetime on VAM's and never know it all

Depends on how good your memory is There are a lot of VAMs,so maybe a good reference book will help?
John1
Edited by John1
05/15/2019 10:13 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4127 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Depends on how good your memory is

Yep, I'm at the bottom of that list!

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05