Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Do You Use For Taking Good Pictures?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
155 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  5:46 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 1993Z to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was wanting to know what some of you use for taking good close up pictures? I have a USB microscope but the picture quality is terrible no matter what I do with the light.
If it's just an overall picture for a coin my phone works well until I zoom in and then its starts to get fuzzy. I would like to be able to take better quality pictures when posting in the future.
Learn More...
United States
79171 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
Valued Member
United States
155 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  6:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1993Z to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks jbuck I guess I should have looked a little better.

I didn't know there was a photography forum. I have found what I need by looking at the other posts thanks.
Edited by 1993Z
05/14/2019 6:31 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
30366 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Make and model of scope? You can but a clip on magnifier for your phone.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
155 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1993Z to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@John1 no I didn't know that I could get a clip on magnifier. It's just an Ebay scope and it's the light that makes it look so bad. Its always off color.
Valued Member
United States
155 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1993Z to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is what I'm going to try because my phone takes really good pictures just not zooming all the way in.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2281 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
if its a microscope CAM, like a celestron or clone ... then good luck except for extreme close ups or a very small coin.

the field of focus is so small that you would be hard pressed to get a decent image of anything larger than a dime.

you are much better off using your phone "raw". some work better than others.
the sweetspot seems to be iPhone4, craigslist for $40 or less. search this forum, there is an extensive thread for phone cams on a budget,

many have been able to produce some amazing results with older platforms.

good luck, keep trying and post your results. it will help you, and others, get better better with their final images

Bedrock of the Community
United States
30366 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  05:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a Celestron and I can take a nice pic of a full coin shot of a silver dollar. The lighting is/will be the problem on any scope/camera. Practise-practise-practise.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
79171 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  10:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thanks jbuck I guess I should have looked a little better.

I didn't know there was a photography forum. I have found what I need by looking at the other posts thanks.
No problem and you are welcome.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3163 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use a setup similar to the "<$400" setup described in the forum. That setup is now way less than $400.
Contact me for photographic equipment or visit my home page at:
http://macrocoins.com
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8251 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This might sound dumb but I have had a hard time taking good coin and medal images over the years.

This is just my experience but I think that practice was my answer to getting better. I am still not a great photographer but somehow over time I have improved gradually to where I can produce some nice images now. It took thousands of pictures to get where I am today and I still have a long ways to go.

I think any camera with a micro function and a delay timer might be enough. I like to delay the shot 2 seconds so I can steady the camera. I found pushing the "shoot" button always blurred my images because my camera was moving a little while the button was pushed.
Of course while a high end camera would probably make a big difference, a basic digital camera can still do.
Mine is a Canon Powershot elph 190IS.
I also have the inexpensive Celestron for extreme close up images.
Experimenting with lighting has also made a difference, again, lots of trial and error and practice.

I have a "cut in half" OJ juice plastic bottle that diffuses the inexpensive lamps on each side and replaced the short distance rod with some copper plumbing.

My celestron wants to make everything brownish yellow so I use a program called PhotoScape and adjust the image the best I can to look same as the coin under light in hand and save it that way.

My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Edited by TNG
05/15/2019 2:57 pm
Valued Member
Ireland
82 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2019  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 2taol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use my smartphone, a glass and a softbox light for high quality images.
For super close up macro shots I use a projector lens with the smartphone.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42725 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2019  5:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use my smartphone and a glass of bourbon.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6680 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2019  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For most full-coin shots, I use a Canon T6s DSLR, DIY copy stand with Zeiss Ultraphot stage, bellows, and 75mm APO Rodagon-D1x.

For closeups, I use the Canon Macro-Photo 35mm f/2.8 or various infinity-corrected microscope objectives.

For whole slab shots, I use a 50mm/2 olympus macro lens.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05