Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What's Wrong With This Reference List In PCGS App ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
104 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  11:43 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CoinMom4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
You guys will all excuse me if my brain is just fried and I'm totally missing something here.
With that out-of-the-way, which one of these things does not belong here?

I've never noticed PCGS 'coin facts app having mistakes like this. Please let me know if it does usually. But the app stats appear to have a mistake in it, along with a link to a questionable slabbed coin ?
Thoughts / input ?

Pillar of the Community
United States
1499 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  11:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not that unusual -- I've run into similar questionable prices with other coins. Usually in those cases they used the wrong type (gold commemorative instead of silver, or something like that).
Working on: Peace dollars (two to go), US type (early Bust era), Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens.

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Valued Member
United States
104 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  12:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinMom4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@alpha
Sorry I should've clarified exactly what I was referencing in the picture. Here's an updated one

I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how a population of zero correlates with a link to a coin that supposed to be graded by them ?

Pillar of the Community
United States
1499 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  12:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see that data on the PCGS web page for the coin in your pic -- https://www.PCGS.com/coinfacts/coin...lad-dc/96007 -- but the cause is the same: PCGS scraped auction data and logged the info for the wrong type of coin.
Working on: Peace dollars (two to go), US type (early Bust era), Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens.

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Edited by Alpha2814
05/15/2019 12:31 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12472 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  12:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
PCGS scraped auction data and logged the info for the wrong type of coin.

Not exactly. They were trying to get data for sure, but with eBay how the seller inputs it can have a big impact on how the computer deals with it. It's a nice tool they are putting out, just don't take it as gospel with eBay especially
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10107 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  12:57 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe the mix up in data is whether the coin is a proof or not. The page you show seems to be for business strike clad quarters, but the listed auction under "69" is for a PROOF, and that grade/price correlates with a proof. So, the data isn't in the right place.

With a modern coin like that, there's a BIG difference in value between a 69 proof and a 69 business strike example.
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius

"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12472 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  01:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
With a modern coin like that, there's a BIG difference in value between a 69 proof and a 69 business strike example.

You left a couple Gs off that BIG
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10107 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  01:03 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also agree with basebal21. The seller didn't specify (in Item Specifics/About This Item) that the coin was a proof strike other than to state the grade as PF69DCAM. Apparently, PCGS's software doesn't pic up on that differentiation. EBay listings can definitely screw with the data that way.
-Lucretius

-Kurdt Kobain

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10107 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  01:19 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You left a couple Gs off that BIG

No kidding! Even in a meager 68 grade , here's the difference between a 76-S clad quarter proof:

...and a 76-D clad quarter business strike:

Soooooo, exactly a $6,460 difference.
-Lucretius

-Kurdt Kobain

Valued Member
United States
104 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  1:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinMom4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys appreciate all of your feedback.
It's obviously an error, but whether the cause of it is manual input on PCGS is part, an auto rule that link that to the wrong listing, or the seller labeling it wrong at least now I'll be extra Cautious when looking up the population reports
[code] also agree with basebal21. The seller didn't specify (in Item Specifics/About This Item) that the coin was a proof strike other than to state the grade as PF69DCAM. Apparently, PCGS's software doesn't pic up on that differentiation. EBay listings can definitely screw with the data that way. [/quote]
Agree with both of y'all on this, except I Think even with the sellers miss labeling it shouldn't have linked it to a business strike. His title did have CAM in it. But idk. Lol.

Pillar of the Community
United States
733 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  1:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just going to comment that by stating the Grade is PR69 the seller is identifying it as a proof, it's why the MS and PR differentiation exists. If a person doesn't know that PR69 means proof they probably shouldn't be buying coins at all yet. As far as their search engine glitches, I've found their lookup to be vexing at times and had to be sure you have Mint State or Proof when you want it. Even in the population report, the lookup is a bit clunky, like you can type the date, mintmark and type, but if you click the magnifier to search you get a red "there was an error" and nothing.

if you use the dropdown or press enter its pretty good though. all in all though their search engine and look up could be better for sure, it's not very intuitive. like if you type 2019 W and press enter it matches to "Niue" and you get commems from a tiny South Pacific Island instead.
Valued Member
United States
104 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinMom4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just going to comment that by stating the Grade is PR69 the seller is identifying it as a proof, it's why the MS and PR differentiation exists. If a person doesn't know that PR69 means proof they probably shouldn't be buying coins at all yet. As far as their search engine glitches, I've found their lookup to be vexing at times and had to be sure you have Mint State or Proof when you want it. Even in the population report, the lookup is a bit clunky

Yes on the web it can definitely be clunky... but The actual app for iPhone is even clunkier. Which was the reason for my original question anyways. If you notice I was looking at clad Philadelphia business strike. And the app showed a population of zero with a link to the proof eBay sale. Which we all agreed on stated it was approved in the title. So I don't really know this is a search engine glitch, it's some kind of glitch with in their app linking incorrect items.
I appreciate everybody confirming that there's definitely a glitch, and now when looking at population reports we know that other sales link may not be accurate and you want to double check them more thoroughly rather than a quick glance
FYI I most certainly am not in the market to buy any proof Bicentennial quarters , lol. I probably have better return on my money buying one at big Al's coins
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05