Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Crumbling Silvers Prices .

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
322 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2019  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pauldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At the current high ratio, you could trade gold for silver, and then trade back when it gets low enough. The trick is to do that at minimum transaction cost. You should be able to keep accumulating more metal this way without spending dollars.

I wish I had bought more silver during the recent dip, but I had already bought some slightly earlier, when it was a little over $15 an ounce. I got a lot of junk silver, plus some US Mint silver dollar commemoratives.

With the ratio this extreme, I think it becomes more likely that it will go down rather than go up more than a little.
Valued Member
United States
362 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2019  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jaxenro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You're comparing paper, or digital numbers, to physical commodities.

Yup I make more money on the digital but get more enjoyment looking at the coins. So I would look at a bucket of junk silver as a semi investment. If silver goes up in price fine but if not I enjoy sorting through the bucket. If I just wanted to invest in silver or gold I wouldn't bother with coins but use one of the funds that stores the metal for me. Far more efficient, faster to sell, no chance of fire or theft, etc.

Silver might have some upside long term but not much to inflation.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3735 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Physical silver is a lousy investment, at least it has been, for the last seven years. I don't look at it as an investment, but a hedge.
Physical silver's value does not rise and fall, it remains constant. It's measurement of value, the dollar, is what rises and falls.

For those that play the paper game, more power to you.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17186 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silver and gold bullion (not paper) are financial insurance, not investments. Numismatics are for investing.
Valued Member
United States
476 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2019  7:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add everything to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The latest silver institute report is not bringing good news for silver either. I thought I heard that numismatic prices have softened up some. GSR dropped below 90 last week. I heard silver premiums were soft, I wonder if that changed when we went from about 15 to about 16 in a matter of three days. Maybe we hit 17 or who knows this year. Another interesting silver tidbit, India outpaced the U.S. in coin/bar demand last year, first time ever?, if they bought most of it latter part of the year they totally bought the dip.
Valued Member
United States
322 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2019  02:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pauldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silver has gotten high enough for me to think about selling a portion of what I have.

I looked at the buy-back prices for APMEX, Provident, and JM Bullion, and found that their buy prices (low to high) are generally in the same order I just listed them.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a dealer that might pay better? Do local dealers generally pay better? It's been quite a while since I've bought from a coin dealer in person, so I don't know the current conditions.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3735 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2019  03:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Pauldog - it might vary, but there is no way they can beat the online vendors here locally, at about 60 cents on the dollar. Same with buy prices, I haven't found any local shows or dealers that can match online vendors in buy/sell.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Valued Member
United States
322 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2019  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pauldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So far, my best bet is to ship generic silver and 90% silver coins to JM Bullion, even over Provident, unless someone has a better suggestion.

However, I think I'll get noticeably more for my few ounces of Mexican Libertads on eBay, even after fees. I haven't checked eBay prices on ASE and maple leaf.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
698 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2019  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JGG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A lot of people selling between $15-$17 to take profits on the run-up in price. No one ever went broke taking profits ... nice trade.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05