Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can You Store Coins And Ammo In The Same Safe?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12546 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2019  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Unfortunately, the law in my county has been getting stricter over the years. The ammo has to be kept separate from the guns even if you're traveling. Both the ammo and the guns, even though they are locked and have a trigger guard have to be in separate parts of your vehicle when traveling. I personally have my pistol on my night stand when I go to sleep at night. My safe is shared between my coins and my guns as well as documents from every relative who is too cheap to buy their own safe or lock box <lol>

For sure, if that is the local law your hands are tied unfortunately. It's like some of the laws where the sad joke is if you ever defended yourself with it they know you didn't store it properly.

Quote:
I've never had an issue with the coins sharing the safe with the guns.

Which is possible. There's so many variables like where you live, location in the house, type of safe, type of gun, how weathered things are and it can be as simple as some coins tone fast others do not etc etc. By no means am I paranoid about coin storage, if someone wants to play it extra safe or notices changes they don't like though they should separate the coins and weapons.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7853 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  12:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like I said, the safe itself is in an air conditioned closet, so I'm not too worried about weather. As for the gun, it's a brand new AR-15. I started noticing some small changes, so I was hoping I could fix the problem before and long term damage has been done to the coins. I really appreciate everyone's input. I'll update this thread with what I decide to do.
Sets in progress... Mercury dimes, Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/328488
ANA: 3183215
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10181 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  02:59 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Unfortunately, the law in my county has been getting stricter over the years. The ammo has to be kept separate from the guns even if you're traveling. Both the ammo and the guns, even though they are locked and have a trigger guard have to be in separate parts of your vehicle when traveling.

Yes, that is unfortunate.

@CC2012

Best practice in my eyes is to store gun(s)/ammo together and coins separately. However, Ziploc bags and dessicant packets will certainly work for coins/albums. Ziplocs, or other brands, are food safe, which means they don't contain PVC. That means they are coin safe, as well.

I feel ya, GrapeCollects.
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius

"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18632 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  08:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Unfortunately, I can't store the gun separate, because I only have 1 safe. Should I add some desiccant packs of a dehumidifier?

Why do you need a safe for anything? However, as I mentioned before, play it safe and keep guns and gun stuff separate.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
10878 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  09:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The ammo has to be kept separate from the guns

In Canada is mandatory!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1457 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  3:54 pm  Show Profile   Check Andrew99's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Andrew99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gunpowder has sulfur and sulfides in it. It will tone coins. There is no airflow in a safe so you may as well have it in a tupperware with the coins. I would avoid it.
The collection is in your mind. Dispose of your albums and free your mind from the tyranny of holes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2571 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  4:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the dessicant is silica gel (which I think is the most common), it can absorb trace amounts of sulfur compounds in addition to water, so it might be helpful.

I agree that using a barrier like a Ziplock bag or Tupperware container is a good idea (thicker the better). That also impedes access of potentially damaging vapors.
Edited by tdziemia
05/23/2019 5:25 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3331 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  9:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Google Dollar Tree desiccant - two flavors available - put one of each flavor in the enclosure.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10181 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2019  02:27 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What are the flavors?
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius

"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
10878 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2019  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

In the same safebox for years...
Guns and coins ..No problems!
(No ammo and clean guns (oil)

Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2019  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Reclaimed to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just don't go through airport metal detectors with coins coming out of safe stored with guns. You might miss fight ! This happened to me when bringing coins back from my dads in the US. Traces of gun powder were detected on coins and they put me through security heck. lol
Valued Member
United States
178 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2019  2:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fplagge to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your guns, of course, need to be in your safe.

As for your coins, I suggest you leave them on your back porch..... Uh, where did you say you live? (Full address, please.)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42064 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2019  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the title of this thread deserves an award of some sort.
Learn More...
United States
78167 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2019  11:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As for your coins, I suggest you leave them on your back porch..... Uh, where did you say you live? (Full address, please.)

Quote:
I think the title of this thread deserves an award of some sort.
Pillar of the Community
United States
505 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2019  10:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twslisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow. Read and learn. I have a couple old rifles. I'd planned to get a large gun safe to accommodate them, my coins, and other stuff (tax filings and other records you don't want to burn down with the house. Guess I'll have to rethink it.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05