Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1905-O Barber Quarter, You Vs. PCGS

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Sweden
53 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  3:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add denkan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi.
I've posted this coin awhile back with questions regarding the toning. Now it's back from PCGS. What grade do you give her and what do you think PCGS said?

/denkan
Pillar of the Community
United States
5020 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Difficult to grade due to dark toning, which also likely made it difficult to photograph!
I'd venture XF-45, based on visible wear on hair at Liberty's forehead and laurel leaves, also on eagle's neck, tail feathers, and wing tips.

Hopefully PCGS didn't detect environmental damage and throw out a Details grade.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
36546 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
EF-40, possibly 45, and I too worry about a details grade.
Valued Member
Canada
452 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DETAILS- Environmental damage
Pillar of the Community
United States
4081 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-53 Nice Luster Hidden
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq...ukyxurAHKuRg
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3234 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  6:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The objective grade is not in question - EF 40 to EF 45
I will go out on a limb and say there is no environmental damage.
What we have is coin sickness - a gradual degradation
into a nasty looking coin - but.....
If you want to say environmental damage then I will not object.....

Pillar of the Community
United States
3234 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
oh I missed this ..PCGS would say environmental damage ....
easier to say than to explain.....
I'd still say they were wrong........

Pillar of the Community
United States
3234 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Look, coins go bad....be it silver or copper or in between ...
coins will continue to plague us with unexpected bad, debilitating condition....metal going bad -- it happens
(really, did you want me to say c**p?)

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10806 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  10:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The eye appeal on this coin is 1 out of 10 grades . But you obviously like that black botchy toning or you wouldn't have paid to send it in . Sorry , just not a fan .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
7317 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  12:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
EF details
Valued Member
Sweden
53 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add denkan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
T-BOP: Although it looks better in hand I agree the toning is not that pretty. The reason I sent this one in (with other coins) was for my own education to see if it would straight grade or not. I also wanted to pay extra for Trueview since its so hard to get a good photo with the toning. Somehow the trueviews seems go get missed in my submission though...
Pillar of the Community
United States
630 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2019  12:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the upthread comments.

PCGS can (and does) adjust technical grades from +1 to -2 points for eye appeal. Their "eye appeal" standard also resolves doubts up or down based on eye appeal.

I could see either drop-grading to EF 40 or issuing EF 45 Details with a 97 code (environmental damage).
Valued Member
Sweden
53 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2019  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add denkan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
GrapeCollects and PCGS both graded this one AU53. No details.
I think it got a fair grade considering the date and mintmark but the pictures aren't the best to grade.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
36546 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2019  2:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can't argue!
Pillar of the Community
United States
630 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2019  3:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm happy for you with the grade on that coin! The 1905-O is a bit of a tough date, and a straight-graded 53 is definitely a nice example.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05