Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Unique 1916 Canada One Cent - Any Ideas What Happened Here ?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

Canada
712 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2019  09:00 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TaeKenDo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Can anyone explain what`s going on here ? Looks like a brockage error. In the last two photos, I took an impression of the coin in reverse.

Pillar of the Community
United States
802 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2019  10:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a mid-evil vise job...But why?..
Learn More...
Canada
8465 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2019  10:57 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Post mint damage - another coin was pressed into it. The flattening of the obverse also indicates this.

"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
712 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2019  10:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TaeKenDo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good question. How can one tell the difference between a garage job and the real thing...any indicators ? I lke these types of errors when they`re the real thing though, not an attempt at making an error coin or someone just messing with around and then decides to dump it. Gladly I paid almost nothing for it.
Valued Member
Canada
377 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2019  11:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coin-Flipper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Counterbrockage - A planchet fed in on top of a coin with a partial brockage?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
712 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2019  11:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TaeKenDo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would have one question. If a coin was pressed into it, how does the T in Cent escape being flattened when all around it is. It looks here like the impression of the King was made before the Reverse and is much deeper while the T is still raised.

Edited by TaeKenDo
05/24/2019 11:40 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3948 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2019  11:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thats what I was wondering, TKO.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
712 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2019  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TaeKenDo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seems like maybe there`s more going on here than meets the eye so-to-speak.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1470 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2019  12:21 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
squeeze job, the T is fattened some as well.
Learn More...
Canada
8465 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2019  12:26 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Seems like maybe there`s more going on here than meets the eye so-to-speak.

Not a chance. Nope. Never. If you study how the coins were struck, including the rim (collar die), you will know that something like this is impossible to do at the mint.
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
712 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2019  12:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TaeKenDo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SPP-Ottawa - I just bought a book on Diecaps & Brockage. Interesting but not much info. Trying to find as much as I can, only finding bits n pieces here and there.

Can you recommend any books or web-links with more info of the entire process. I have a degree as a machinist that dates back 3o years & this stuff intrigues me. I`m subscribed to multiple `How`d they do that` type channels on youtube.
Edited by TaeKenDo
05/24/2019 12:40 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
36850 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2019  1:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree. Some sort of vise job.
Valued Member
United States
207 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2019  1:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Badger Mint to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The fact that the obverse has an extreme amount of flattening kind of overrules anything going on on the other side.
Learn More...
Canada
8465 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2019  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are lots of books - but the main issue is that most are written for US error coins, whose mints operated (and still operate) different presses than those Canadian mints use.

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
712 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2019  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TaeKenDo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@SPP-Ottawa - I found a post on this forum where you explain a little the process, thanks for that. I also found a few images, videos and explanations, I guess enough to get the gist of it. But I still am missing where you say knowing about the process would show this impossible. What are you looking at that I`m not perceiving, if you don`t mind briefly sharing.
Learn More...
Canada
8465 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  09:25 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Think of a Type 2 blank planchet, and how a rim is formed...

My eBay store
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.02 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05