Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2 Gulden 1874 Is It Authentic?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2327 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2019  09:33 am Show Profile   Check alganbagerap's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add alganbagerap to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This 2 Gulden has been cleaned, the weight and diameter are right as is the edge lettering but I'm a little worried about the beard. There seems to be a loss of detail inconsistent with the amount of wear.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15781 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2019  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with your comments, but not to write it off immediately.
Would it be possible to compare the ping tone with another
'Twee en Halve Gulden' coin of the same vintage and specification?

Just rest the coin on the tip of your finger, and lightly tap the edge with another coin.
Edited by sel_69l
06/02/2019 10:18 am
Valued Member
United States
264 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2019  11:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rdwarrior to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2 things would worry me about this coin if I were looking to buy it, one is the details around the eye, compare this one to the example posted on the NGC site.https://www.NGCcoin.com/price-guide...uid-1430825. The eye on your example looks empty in comparison. Second is I get suspicious when I see a large coin such as this with absolutely pristine fields, even the uncirculated one in the link above has some bag marks. And also upon further inspection the dentils get fully weak on the reverse from 7 to 10 o'clock and overall do not have the best shape, again compare to the above link.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2327 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2019  11:28 am  Show Profile   Check alganbagerap's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add alganbagerap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NGC link doesn't work but I have ping tested this against a silver crown and it seems OK.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4106 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2019  12:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The eye here also has that 'empty' eye look, a known counterfeit.

https://en.numista.com/forum/topic71941.html
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2327 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2019  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Check alganbagerap's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add alganbagerap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fellow collector has just tested it as silver and, in hand, the reverse denticles are fine. I'll try to get a better focussed image up. The focus here is just a little soft.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2181 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2019  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Other than a cleaning...I don't see an issue with this coin.

KK
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16991 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2019  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Other than chemical over exposure it looks good to me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1957 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2019  10:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is mine

Valued Member
United States
414 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2019  1:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cableguy815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@fioti - the forgery in your Numista link is incomparable to this example. It is a rather poor replica.

This coin looks good to me. I did notice a subtle difference in the eye, but I believe that's just due to lighting and the angle of the picture (not direct overhead as the comparisons).

I have five examples of this coin in my collection (various years), and in my experience, I have come across only 1 example that was a forgery. The forgery was that of a key date (1853). This particular year, is fairly common and it is probably less likely to be copied.

Please post images of the edge of the coin. The weight would also help. One of immediate giveaways in the case of my forgery was the star separators were actually asterisks. Also, it was slightly more underweight than normal (if I recall, 24.71g in my case). Most of these examples will be extremely close to 25g, especially considering the little to no wear of your example.
Nothing better than a fresh World Crown arriving in the mail after a long and tiring day.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05