Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1944 D Wheat Penny, With Stripes On Back Side

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
22 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2019  10:16 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Thesepennysgood to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I don't know if the picture shows the stripes very well, but they are very prominent on tge coin. Does that have an effect on the value?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
29986 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2019  10:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just some kind of toning.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11861 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2019  10:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When you mentioned stripes I figured ok ,another Woodie.
But I agree just a toning characteristic .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2019  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Thesepennysgood to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The "stripes" have very strong lines between them, I read up about coins that possibly hadn't had the mixture of the alloy not be uniform before coating the planchet, and that could be the possible reason for the lack of uniformity in the coat on the planchet?
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2019  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Thesepennysgood to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
4696 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2019  2:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Contact with the paper in the Whitman folder is what most likely causes the toning stripes you now have on your coin. 2x2's and quality plastic coin capsules and flips are your friend.

Oils and residues from you fingers and hands are not your friend and can damage your coins -especially nice uncirculated coins!
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2019  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Thesepennysgood to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What do I use to wipe the oils off without damaging thw coins
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
662 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2019  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Check dd27's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add dd27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What do I use to wipe the oils off without damaging thw coins

I'm not sure what you mean by "oils" but the best guide to removing debris from copper coins was written by CCF member BadThad 10 years ago. ==> BadThad's Solvent Polarity Ladder.

A couple of years ago I asked some specific questions about each of the 3 "polarity ladder" stages:

Specific Questions Re: Polarity Ladder - Step 1: Distilled Water

Specific Questions Re: Polarity Ladder - Step 2: Acetone

Specific Questions Re: Polarity Ladder - Step 3: Xylene
Edited by dd27
06/02/2019 7:06 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42236 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2019  7:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a woody for sure. Doubt anything will remove this effect.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16068 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2019  10:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reverse cleaning, not a woody.

AU details
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar of the Community
United States
766 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2019  10:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like it was backed with corrugated cardboard for a period of time to me. Toning I believe but not really worth trying to remove it in my opinion copper has a tendency to discolor and that could just kill it for you.

If you must remove the toning spend the time studying on how to do it, and test on coins you don't care about first until you are comfortable doing it and know what you're doing.

The post above on the polarity ladder is spot on, just use extreme caution when doing any cleaning and be sure you know the outcome before doing it to coins you care about.

Edited by Big-Kingdom
06/02/2019 10:34 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
958 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2019  10:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you get a clear closeup of the date and mint mark and another closeup of the word LIBERTY?

Thanks!
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2019  05:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Thesepennysgood to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, been busy, here you go.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
958 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2019  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your coin may have a collectible repunched mint mark. The closest listing I can find is 1944-D RPM-008. Your photo is still just a bit too blurry to be sure.

The easiest way to get a clear photo of an entire obverse or reverse is with a cell phone camera. Place a small stack of books on a table, and place the cell phone on top, with the camera overhanging the books. Place the coin on a solid dark surface. Center the coin in the cell phone camera view and orient the coin with the top center of the coin at 12 o'clock. Set the picture so that the full coin fills the frame. Focus the image and snap the picture. You can e-mail it to yourself if you use a desktop or laptop computer to upload images. To help with obtaining a [photo that can fit the size limits, select the smallest size when e-mailing the photo.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42236 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2019  11:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pics still too blurry to see much of anything.
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2019  12:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Thesepennysgood to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, I'll do it that way and resend later today. Thanks for teaching me.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.96 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05