Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2008 Double Lucky Money Set

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
948 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2019  11:19 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Guide books indicate 4,888 notes as the quantity printed for Series 2003 $2 St. Louis FRB notes (Fr. 1937H). A VERY small number of notes.

My understanding is that these notes were only available in the $2 Double Lucky Money set

and were not released for circulation (but not all guide books indicate they were collector only notes ). From the picture of the set's cover, you can see that the notes were numbered H2008xxxxD and H8888xxxxC.

The PMG pop report doesn't show a single one of these notes being graded, which seems unusual to me for such a scarce note.

Anyone have any more information about these notes?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2017 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2019  03:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Released in 2008 and quickly sold out.

For many years, if you wanted a 2003A $2 H-C or H-D block note, you had to have this set. Recently the BEP has used these two blocks for the newly released and still available Lucky Panda $2 note. PMG does show some H-C and H-D 2003A $2 notes graded. One of the few BEP sets that I keep in the original government packaging.

Pillar of the Community
United States
948 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2019  03:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Steve,

I don't have this set and I see that your set has series 2003A notes. The references that I have (Whitman's A Guide Book of United States Paper Money, 6th ed. and Schwartz/Lindquist Standard Guide to Small-Size U.S. Paper Money, 10th ed.) show 4,888 series 2003 St. Louis notes being printed.

Was it released with both series of notes?

PMG does show 2003A St. Louis notes as being graded, but doesn't show any 2003 notes as graded.
Edited by BadDog
06/11/2019 08:39 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2017 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2019  03:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Double Lucky only used 2003A notes. Maybe a typo on series.

The only 2003 $2 St Louis notes printed were low serial number star notes.

Edited to add, if memory serves me, this release on January 17th 2008 was a big deal. Every $2 Double Lucky and Double Deuce sets have sold out fairly quickly...collectors love $2's.
Edited by SteveInTampa
06/11/2019 03:45 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
948 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2019  04:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Double Lucky only used 2003A notes. Maybe a typo on series.

I guess it must be a typo

Schwartz/Lindquist definitely show the set as series 2003

with a printing of 4,888.

Maybe other references picked up on this and promulgated the typo?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2017 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2019  04:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I prefer Robert Azpiazu's guide...mostly for the details.

Learn More...
United States
72000 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2019  4:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting!

I remember the 2008 Olympics in Beijing. 8-8-8. They had a pretty good segment regarding the number 8 in Chinese culture.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05