Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1817 Bust Half You Vs PCGS

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
37942 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think they felt (rightly) that it was a decent coin overall but clipped the grade to reflect the old cleaning issue. It wouldn't bother many people, but it stands out to me.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
359 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smoke1439 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This piece has a PCGS Price Guide value of $450 in XF45 and it just brought $480+S/H at Heritage Auctions.

Want to see vastly different images of the same coin? Here you have it: https://coins.ha.com/itm/bust-half-...ption-071515

My pictures are much more accurate. One day I maybe I'll learn not to buy from a picture.
Greysheet bid $520, what a joke. Greysheet bid seems to have become the new retail.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9166 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My pictures are much more accurate. One day I maybe I'll learn not to buy from a picture.
Greysheet bid $520, what a joke. Greysheet bid seems to have become the new retail.

I was afraid that was the case. I'd return it unless there's a huge financial hit on restocking.

The Heritage images make me scratch my head. While clearly the same coin the images are so different?
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
United States
2109 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
EF cleaned...doesn't matter if it's just one quadrant that is cleaned...it's a cleaned coin! Nice details though.

KK
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
359 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2019  07:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smoke1439 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think they felt (rightly) that it was a decent coin overall but clipped the grade to reflect the old cleaning issue. It wouldn't bother many people, but it stands out to me

Coinfrog in hand I don't think it would bother you that much. With the magnification and the way I lit the coin, which I did intentionally, really emphasized the scratches. This was a great example of how big auction houses, third party graders, and price guide publishers can possibly manipulate the market if they chose to do so. Under the appropriate topic we could go on and on........
Pillar of the Community
United States
6898 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2019  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with PCGS on this coin's grade.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05