Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Thailand 1 Um Coin - Not Magnetic Colour Diff

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Australia
77 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  02:05 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Pshann to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all
Came across this coin
Bottom coin is diff colour and non magnetic
Not sure if normal
Thx

Pillar of the Community
United States
1044 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  04:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add owatchman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are 1 baht coins. If I'm reading the Thai characters right, you have a 2547 and 2548 (2004 and 5 in our calendar). The '48 was minted by the RMC. It's possible the metal content of cupronickel was just a little off. Or that the environment the two coins were in was different enough to give it the slightly different appearance.

Here's the Numista link in case you want some more info on the coin https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces1106.html
Edited by owatchman
06/16/2019 04:27 am
Valued Member
Australia
77 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pshann to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thankyou
Valued Member
Australia
77 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2019  05:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pshann to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a question?
Why would the bottom coin be non magnetic and the one above is magnetic?
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15566 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2019  06:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Normally, 1 Baht coins are made from non magnetic copper nickel.
Pure nickel and some versions of stainless steel are magnetic.

I am guessing that the slightly brown coin may be made of very low nickel (only) stainless steel. The slight admixture (guess 3-5 % ?) of nickel in an iron coin would whiten the alloy, and make it far more resistant to corrosion. Such an alloy would be magnetic.

A hypothesis:
I must admit, I have never encountered such an alloy for coins, so perhaps it may be a test alloy coin. Perhaps it would be advantageous to put a few hundred thousand coins into circulation, and test them for wear and corrosion in circulation. They could be easily found by magnetic methods for extraction from circulation for subsequent examination and testing.

You may have a scarce to rare coin.
See if you can get your hands on as many other One Baht coins from dealers' junk boxes, and do a magnetic statistical study on the alloys.
An easy and interesting piece of numismatic research.

I note the green tinge patch on the darker coin.

Perhaps other members here in the CCF may join into such a research. I will do my bit.
Valued Member
Australia
77 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2019  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pshann to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks
Valued Member
Australia
77 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2019  03:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pshann to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sel
We have a dilemma!
I have checked all the 1 baht coins and have found that of about
300 coins in total- I have found approximately 50 which are magnetic
Valued Member
Australia
77 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2019  05:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pshann to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok - I think I have discovered the answer
The web tells me that coins from 2008 onwards are steel
That makes sense why there are so many.
Now all I have to do is find the coins dated prior to 2008?
Can anyone confirm this?
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2408 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2019  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have a look at Y#183 & Y#443 here....
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/in...y&te=y&cat=y

Steve
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 13,500 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15566 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2019  6:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the answer, which appears to be conclusive.
Valued Member
Australia
77 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2019  05:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pshann to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Steve
Thankyou
Valued Member
Australia
77 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2019  05:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pshann to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Steve and Sel
What about this magnetic coin?
Cannot work out date

Pillar of the Community
Australia
2408 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2019  05:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The date is 2554 which is 2011.

Useful date convertor...
http://creounity.com/apps/time_mach....htm&lang=en

Steve
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 13,500 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Valued Member
Australia
77 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2019  07:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pshann to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thx
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05