Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Shiny 1944 P Nickle Chrome Or Polish

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
87 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  07:00 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add John1397 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Found this worn down 1944P nickle was wondering if this is polished or if a coin like this can be chrome plated or other procedure?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1147 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  07:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your coin is 35% silver,so my guess would be polished
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13178 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  07:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@john1397, your '44 could be polished or plated (or both). I think that we will need an in-focus pic to help determine which it is.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
United States
29536 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  08:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 44 is either polished/plated.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15914 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  09:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very difficult to see from these pictures, but if you are absolutely certain that there is no wear, you can be hopeful that the '44P was struck from fresh dies.
(Similar to DMPL, with Morgans)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41503 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  09:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pics are too small to evaluate for me.
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MJD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The silver war nickels have a unique luster in uncirculated condition, as in this 1943-D from my collection, but they never look really shiny. I would suspect your example was polished.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2181 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  9:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with the polished group...they do tend to become dull.

KK
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15914 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2019  02:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will accept that the '44P pictures may be a polished coin. Pictures on my screen not clear enough to confirm, either way.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15847 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2019  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It really doesn't matter which it is, it is now just worth melt.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
United States
87 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2019  09:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1397 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I laid it it along proofs and other nickel seems like a chrome bumper type of finish I no not if you could get that by polishing.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15847 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2019  07:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is a product call semichrome that can give that appearance. It is a metal polishing compound.
Gary Schmidt
Edited by Conder101
06/22/2019 07:47 am
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15914 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2019  07:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Chrome plating the working dies, or polishing them,
produces much the same visual result.

The Royal Australian Mint has used both techniques.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11623 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2019  08:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Need large photos of reverse and obverse .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05