Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Foreign Paper Money ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
41 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  3:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Hess4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was recently given some foreign coins and paper money. I have no clue whatsoever about any of them being I'm a newbie in US coins and I was wondering if y'all could take a look and tell me if any are worth anything?
Thank you for any and all input in advance!
> Tracy

United Kingdom
38 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  3:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Collector28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1 - English 5 note, George Stephenson. The chief cashier is Graham Kentfield, who held this post from 1991 to 1998. These can attract some premium, but in this condition that is virtually gone.
2 - Swiss 20 francs, Arthur Honegger. 8th series. First issued in October 1996. Don't think there's much collector value here either unfortunately.
3 - Italian 50000 lire banknote, Gian Lorenzo Bernini. First issued in 1992. Very little value to this one, unfortunately.
4 - Italian 1000 Lire banknote, Maria Montessori. First issued in 1990. Quite worthless too, sadly.

All are obsolete, but I think they can all still be exchanged. The first 2 carry some value in that respect, especially the second. I know you can exchange the British for face value (about $6.30, but when you factor in the cost of getting it to the bank of England probably not worth it). I assume the same is true for Swiss (which would be about $20.02 - fees incurred) but I'm not totally sure.
Edited by Collector28
06/16/2019 4:00 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
5374 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  4:02 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi! The first banknote is an obsolete Bank of England Series 'E' five-pound note issued in the early 1990s and signed by Chief Cashier Kentfield. In that condition it's worth nothing to a collector, but it can still be exchanged for face value at the Bank of England in London.
Details here: https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/ban...ld-banknotes
Edited by NumisRob
06/16/2019 4:04 pm
United States
41 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  4:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hess4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys I really appreciate it!
United States
41 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hess4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really wish they would have taken better care of them for sure!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2566 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Check XavierOfGreen's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add XavierOfGreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 50,000 Lire goes for $7 or $8 on ebay the 1000 Lire would go for $1
Oldest Found-------
Cent: 1842 (from machine) ---- Three Cent: 1866 [Nickel] (from machine)
Nickel: 1883 (from roll) ---- Dime: 1911 (from roll)
Quarter: 1932 (from machine) ---- Half: 1917 (from roll)
Dollar: 1880 (from machine) ---- Foreign: 1863 (from machine)
Pillar of the Community
United States
3897 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2019  2:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You might be surprised at how many bank branches in the U.S. will redeem foreign currency, especially instruments like the U.K. & Swiss notes. You may not get the full exchange value, but it can be done.

Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
Canada
506 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2019  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You might be surprised at how many bank branches in the U.S

- I was just going to chip in on this (the banks take quite a few foreign notes these days). We also have foreign exchange outlets which would normally take them- but sometimes when they're older series- will not take them (I had this with my Swedish notes).

Quote:
The 50,000 Lire goes for $7 or $8 on ebay the 1000 Lire would go for $1

-in the condition these notes are in? I find that hard to believe.
Anyway, welcome to CCF "Hess4" & if you're interested in world currency, you may want to check out ebay as there's lots of uncirculated notes out there (& 4 pretty cheap)
Valued Member
Canada
299 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2019  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ShareBear to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed in even in this condition "The 50,000 Lire goes for $7 or $8 on ebay the 1000 Lire would go for $1"

The Swiss Francs are still exchangeable but Switzerland is one of those countries that demonetizes their older series after a few years. Once demonetized they are worthless. However there is a proposal to change that and keep their currency worth face value forever like Canada and the US.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.46 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05