Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

July 2019 RCM Releases + Moon Landing 50th Anniverary Coins

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6567 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2019  10:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
New coins on the Mint website.

Definitively, worth a look.

The CA, mistakenly mentioned "Map shaped" coin as 318 gr (this like 10oz), and it already "Awaiting Stock"

Some small miss with "1949 Canada Dollar":
It appears as "Piedfort" coin. But RCM's piedfort are only 4mm thickness (not really thick coin), and diameter is 34 mm, while original was 36 mm. In bottom line: noth thick as real Piedfort and not large as original.
Together with this - nice coin.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
575 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alex A to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Some small miss with "1949 Canada Dollar":
It appears as "Piedfort" coin. But RCM's piedfort are only 4mm thickness (not really thick coin), and diameter is 34 mm, while original was 36 mm. In bottom line: noth thick as real Piedfort and not large as original.

Unfortunately this "silver dollar" is NOT in the traditional 36mm format .

Question: I realize the piedfort is a thicker coin. For anyone who purchased or plans to, does the coin fit into the Lighthouse 34mm coin trays? Some of the RCM coins with jewels etc. are too thick and consequently the clear cover on the tray will not close (due to thickness of coin).

Thanks in advance.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6567 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Question: I realize the piedfort is a thicker coin. For anyone who purchased or plans to, does the coin fit into the Lighthouse 34mm coin trays? Some of the RCM coins with jewels etc. are too thick and consequently the clear cover on the tray will not close (due to thickness of coin).

yes, this is tricky.

But the coin is different from the High Relief coins, so the capsule may not be too thick.

Owners of the 2010 Piedfort SML [same specs] might help (I've sold mine...it was beautiful coin)
Valued Member
Canada
109 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  2:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lakeman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some months it really feels as if the RCM is grasping at straws for new ideas..

I missed out on the Master's Club Golden 3D Maple Leaf.. I should have bought it when I first got the email but forgot to go back until I saw it on ebay last night for $300...
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6567 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Some months it really feels as if the RCM is grasping at straws for new ideas..

Isn't it exactly about Master's Club Golden 3D Maple Leaf coin?

Pillar of the Community
Canada
626 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2019  12:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Electrum to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hit and miss often but this 3D is nice
Canada
6 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2019  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newfoundlander to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are the gift sets ever a good investment? I noticed in July they put out the latest of their annual "O Canada" Gift Set. Looks like basically an uncirculated set of regular coins plus a special loonie. Worth getting?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6567 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2019  6:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Are the gift sets ever a good investment? I noticed in July they put out the latest of their annual "O Canada" Gift Set. Looks like basically an uncirculated set of regular coins plus a special loonie. Worth getting?

No, I think, never

In my opinion, the Annual Circulation set and O Canada set are very giftable and could be kept, but not as investment.
Valued Member
Canada
341 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2019  10:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
but not as investment.

One thing to remember... everything released from the NCLT side of the house is collectible... meaning, collect it if you like it, or as said above, you want to gift it to someone who would like it. Anything that is sold as a collectible is usually not an investment.

Every so often, a coin hits the correct combination of market interest and low mintage and can see appreciation but it rarely lasts over a 10+ year period and the hit ratio is extremely low.

The other side of the non-circulating house at the RCM are the bullion issues which can be an investment but remember, you are investing in precious metals using coins as an instrument. There are other PM instruments such as bars, stocks ETFs... all of which have their adherents and detractors.

If you want to look at coins as an investment, look at circulating tender in high quality where there is a combination of lower mintages and a well understood demand/desire for a specific issue. I am still waiting to find that attic stored mint bag of dollar coins from 1948 or maybe an 1847 UK crown...
Canada
6 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2019  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newfoundlander to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So you would think that there is no investment value in collector coins? Or just those basic sets?
Pillar of the Community
United States
767 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2019  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So the star of the show... even at the ridiculous cost of $7 each is the 50c base metal specimen set of 5 wildlife treasures.

Err, I think you misread the cost. The set of five coins are $35 EACH, or a total of about $175.00 for the set. Now how do you feel about the base metal set 'ridiculous' cost?

PS: Aside from the Matthew dollar and the Wildlife Treasures 50-cent coins, do any more from the list have a face value of one dollar or less?

Edited by atticguy
07/04/2019 8:53 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6567 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2019  11:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So you would think that there is no investment value in collector coins? Or just those basic sets?

These sets are extremely basic and don't have even 50c coin.
All their value in single uncirculated coin, and if nothing unusual happens, this coin stays in the CAD 10-20 range.

Regarding the RCM's recent NCLT as investment it goes like this - simplified:

1. almost all coin lose their value since released (available on the market for less then issue price)

2. Very few allow to "make quick profit" while buying something unavailable for all and available for you and reselling withing short period.

3. Extremely few of them increased in the price and maintain their increased value for years.

To get advantage on the #2 and #3 need to have knowledge, research a lot, luck and kind of "sixth sense"

Valued Member
Canada
341 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2019  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Err, I think you misread the cost. The set of five coins are $35 EACH,

I just received the brochure in the mail today and you are correct that it says $35 each... It has to be a misprint though since when you add the "set" to your basket online, the cost is $35 not $175. At $7 each for base metal specimen coins it is sort of inline with the specimen set; $175 would be outrageous and not even the RCM would attempt that degree of over-pricing.
Pillar of the Community
United States
767 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2019  11:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You may be right, but I've learned over recent years that many of the prices implemented by the RCM don't make much sense at times. I don't really like it, but I end up paying more than I logically should for some items just because they just look good, or I'm experiencing buying frenzy.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
629 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2019  03:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Looney4Numi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm experiencing buying frenzy.

lol

You're not alone.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.09 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05