Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Another Lot W/ 1 Valuable Coin And A Bunch Of Junk

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
37 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2019  2:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TimNH to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've been seeing a lot of these, a bunch of junk coins surrounding a valuable piece, as if the seller cleaned out a junk drawer and doesn't know what he has..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1795-FLOWI...202707406018

This same seller earlier on sold a lot much like this (too far back to link to it), 1795 half with a bunch of common/poor junk halves. It even had the same "clasp" round mark at the top.

To the skeptic, this looks like a method for distracting from a counterfeit, or providing plausible deniability.

What do you think?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4066 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2019  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For that much money the coin(s) better be slabbed.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4002 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2019  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You'd think they'd provide rev. images, not just for varieties sake,
but for authenticity. I'm calling bogus.
United States
37 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2019  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TimNH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
For that much money the coin(s) better be slabbed.

Slabbed that coin would be well over a grand. It is currently $470 (and that doesn't include the distraction pieces, which I am not worried about).

Really, at the heart of it, this is a simple matter of slabbed >>>> unslabbed in price, given "equal" coins, but if the thing isn't authentic, then it's not really "equal" now is it :)

There should be a whole subforum on this site: "Is it real?"
Pillar of the Community
United States
3347 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2019  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do not believe that there is a pony in that pile.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3022 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2019  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks perfectly legitimate to me . He states the Coin was once slabbed as plugged .
Hardly anything nefarious . You see bucket loads of these type of lots in many English and European Auction
Sales!
Pillar of the Community
858 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2019  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add g048406 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This same seller earlier on sold a lot much like this (too far back to link to it), 1795 half with a bunch of common/poor junk halves.

This is just his sellimg MO. He cracks-out a rare key-date coin and surrounds it with cull coins in a lot.

United States
37 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2019  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TimNH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yea that one! It even had the same "not actually plugged just a clasp mark" description. I was tempted on that one, and I am tempted on this one too.

Quote:
I do not believe that there is a pony in that pile.

Pony? Do you mean phony?

This is all fine if the coins are genuine, but why wouldn't he at least keep some record of the slabs?
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05